Optics: radial light beams extending from light source

Jake712

Why, whenever you are outside at night, do all of the lights extend into beams of light perpendicular to your vision?

For example, when driving, the cars coming towards you on the other side of the road have lights that create a beam upwards and towards the ground...

Or, when looking at a street light which has lights extending in five directions...

Thanks

in that case it may be that,

the glass in your lens (or plastic) has a gratting affect, this is to make you eyes see right.

What I mean is, if your eye isnt a nice round shape then the image you would see wouldnt be nice, and by putting these in it corrects it, its like looking through the bottom of a glass bottle and that correcting your problem.

long story.

lol.

I just tried it last night. I took off my glasses and looked at a street light and there were still lines of light extending from the source in all directions.

Maybe its because of the shape of the containers that hold the light buld. E.G.: headlight case, street light case...ect.