My theory to the Universe

ncook90

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and i know little about physics and the universe. However, i do have a keen passion for understanding how the universe became to be and whats actually out there (dark matter and such).

Anyway after taking into consideration all the different theories (brane worlds, big bang etc) about what the universe is and how it came into existence i formulated my own theory, based on size and perception. 1metre to humans could be a millimetre to something much larger and the larger you go the smaller the metre becomes until eventually the 1 metre cannot be measured because it has become so minute and you have become so large in proportion to it.

We say the universe is huge because of our human perception, its a way to define and scale things accordingly, however what if our universe is infinitely small to a much larger being. Lets look at us humans and our size, if i look down a microscope at a cell i can see the cell membrane and nucleus, but thats not all that exists....so i magnify and see all the organelles. If i could magnify down to the atomic level i'd see an atom .... if i could go further i'd see protons and neutrons with alot of "space" or "matrix" between the gaps. If i could magnify even further to that gap or space/matrix what would be there? another universe with inhabbitants looking out to the stars wondering whats out there?

I dont know if i'm getting this across clearly so stick with me.

If you stood on a work bench in a lab and could shrink yourself to say even smaller than an electron, then when you look up you wouldnt see the once familiar surroundings of equipment and such, but you would see space and blackness and the once dense/solid bench you could not pass through would become invisible and traversable, i.e you'd be so small you would be able to travel in the gaps and space between dense atoms. Now these gaps when you was a normal size human where infintely small but now your shrunk these gaps would be light years apart. Likewise if you enlarged yourself to say 10x the size of our universe, then our solar system and earth would become so small like on the atomic level in comparison to you. you wouldnt be able to touch and destroy anything because the solar systems and planets would be so small they would be able to pass right through your gaps/space that are present at the atomic level of your composition.

So I believe that our universe is a universe within a much larger universe which is in a much larger universe which is also in a much larger universe and so on. I reckon that the big bang was a large star (the size of our universe) in the larger universe above us (well its not above us as in direction as it surrounds us completely but above us as in size). The size of this star in perception to the inhabbitants of that universe would be the same size as a star in our system. Therefore when a star goes white dwarf in our system and implodes it gives birth to a new universe comprised of the matter from that star but is infintely smaller than our universe. Life could exists in this new universe but right down smaller than "our perception" of the atomic level.

So our universe is a universe within an infinite number of universes and there are also an infinite number of universes within our universe and everytime a star explodes...a new universe is created from its composition. There could be intelligent life on a planet right in front of your eyes right now floating past but are infintely small like a millienth of an electron small.

Now these gaps when you was a normal size human where infintely small but now your shrunk these gaps would be light years apart.

No, they'd still be light nanoseconds (or smaller) apart.

The speed of light is a constant and doesn't scale along with you, assuming you could be shrunk.

So a being so large that she could view our observable universe on a tabletop, say, would still have light from different parts of the universe reach them with billions of years differences. This might not be so bad if the being's "brain cells" are spaced millions of lightyears apart and her thoughts occur on the order of quadrillions of years.

Another aspect of light that's important is wavelength, I think. We can't directly image atoms with visible light because they're too small. I'm not sure what wavelengths of light you could absorb if you were that small, but I think things would look very different if you could shrink. Perhaps this fits well into your idea, as you speculate your lab may appear black and empty... not due to the travel time of light but perhaps due to the wavelengths of light.

The speed of light's not such a limiting factor if you can change the scale of space itself. And you can do this, for example by using length contraction by traveling at near c relative to parts of the universe. A human-sized being who could somehow view our observable universe as a human-size thing might be able to observe the whole universe as we observe our immediate environments.

Our experience is very different from what would be experienced at a subatomic level.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me play devil's advocate here. You said you had a reason for your thinking. I still dont see an actual reason. Honestly it seems random. And when its a random assumption based on nothing, my brain says - well if we're just making things up, we could go a thousand different directions with the same logic.

As the last poster stated, there are some things we know to be true. There is "scale" outside of just our perception. The speed of light, etc ... these things are constant. They dont change with the size of the person viewing them. But my point here is this - I dont see any particular reason why you decided on this theory. There is nothing in your theory that indicates what lead you to believe that this one was the correct one. Therefore it sounds like you just randomly are guessing, which is fine. But you could have randomly guessed at any number of theories. Like why didnt you come to the conclusion that our universe is a circular pendant hanging on a cats collar, like in that one movie ? Or we are a speck of dirt on a big Ogres fingernail ? Technically you could go anywhere with your theory and none of it really has any backing. Its just pure guessing. Which could be fun, but its hard to take it seriously..

Now if you had real life examples to point to .... that might lead you to a conclusion .... then I'd understand more. I get the analogy of atoms, etc. And I think its a pretty common theory that maybe our universe is part of something larger. But for the details of your theory, honestly it just sounds like creative thinking. Not scientific thinking. Which - again - is completely fine.

You said you had a reason for your thinking. I still dont see an actual reason.

LOL I don't see where he said he had a reason. Which, again, is fine. lol

awww i was really pleased with it :(

I still think its a good idea as to what the universe is!

That's okay, ncook. Everyone thinks their idea is a good one (I like mine, too! lol) Some minds that are greater than ours have come up with ideas like, the universe is a hologram, or that the universe was created by two branes touching.

For me, an infinite universe has always existed simply because a 'State of Absolute Nothing' cannot exist.

Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation will be the most plausible until evidence is presented to prove it false.