DNA replication?

raid517

Hi could anyone please supply a step by step numerical breakdown of the processes involved in DNA replication? I mean I know some processes happen at the same time, but what's the general thrust of things?

It would be really helpful if I could see something in a step 1, step 2, step 3 step 4 etc. type format.

You see the problem is I've read about and watched loads of videos about each of the individual steps, but I'm having real trouble stitching it all together. Of particular confusion is in this video here:

it shows the DNA molecule being copied into RNA first, presumably for later transcription back into DNA?

However in this (really very good) online tutorial, it shows DNA being copied directly through a process of sem-conservative replication. So which is it? Or is it both? If so at which points do these processes occur? Also the initial video shows RNA-polymerase appearing to 'race along' the DNA molecule and unzip it to create an RNA template? But surely the RNA molecule doesn't move at all (or at least very little?) Isn't it the DNA molecule that gets fed through the RNA polymerase, a bit like film being fed through and old style cinema film camera?

Your are confusing DNA replication with transcription. The latter results in RNA that have either structural functions or are later translated to proteins. The DNA replication does not involve transcription.

So maybe you should read a little bit up or look for videos that depict actual DNA replication and I would be happy to clear up things that may still be unclear then?