Need a few chemicals

elementcollector1

I'd like to know if anyone can point me towards a good source of these pure chemicals:

tetrahydronapthalene

tertiary amyl alcohol (2-methyl 2-butanol) OR tertiary butanol (2-methyl 2 propanol)

Thanks in advance!

Are you in the Dairy Lab /testing/milk fat business? Try The chemical superpower Sigma-Aldrich- if theyll sell to yyou.

On Sigma-Aldrich, the lowest price for the napthalene is $26.80 and t-butanol goes for twice that, t-amyl alcohol not far behind. Not my favorite pricing, but then again, is this 'analytical standard (Fluka)' worth checking out? It's plenty cheap, something like $18. Which leads me to doubt the purity or amount sold.

Still, many thanks for finding at least a possible source of these, even though it's Sigma-Aldrich.

On Sigma-Aldrich, the lowest price for the napthalene is $26.80 and t-butanol goes for twice that, t-amyl alcohol not far behind. Not my favorite pricing, but then again, is this 'analytical standard (Fluka)' worth checking out? It's plenty cheap, something like $18. Which leads me to doubt the purity or amount sold.

Still, many thanks for finding at least a possible source of these, even though it's Sigma-Aldrich.

Well, you just need to determine what grade you need, right? I mean , you mention a concern for the purity. What purity do you need? Its one thing to ask for a higher purity its another to know what % purity you threshold is. If all you need is 99+ why pay more for 99.9, get it?

I work all day with 99.999% stuff, then for another order, 99.0-99.5 is perfectly fine!! Its all about the application and knowing the end user's needs. Good luck, man.

Never mind about the tetralin, I figured out how to make some from a guy who's done this before.

"There is also a published synth using sodium in ethanol to reduce naphthalene to tetralin and then on to decalin. I've actually run this reaction, and yields are a lot higher using a neutral (decane) hydrocarbon with naphthalene dissolved in it, adding sodium, and reducing with ethanol."

Now to find some old mothballs, or something...

And also figure out a synthesis of t-butanol.

Edited by elementcollector1

To be completely honest, synthesis is easy enough in theory, but in practise it involves synthesis, collection and reaction of mostly gaseous components for such small molecules. I feel the best way would be to find a cheap comercial product that is a t-butyl alcoholic ester, and then just hydrolyse. You also get a second compound which could be useful later. Otherwise you ar probably in for tedious practical methodology.

No idea. Petrol contains a lot of things though- no doubt a small percentage is tBuOH. But there's got to be an easier way... You could probably react methyl lithium or methyl magnesium bromide with acetone, then acid work up. Its just a bit tedious and expensive for something that you would probably want in solvent quantities (i.e. 100s of grams).

No idea. Petrol contains a lot of things though- no doubt a small percentage is tBuOH. But there's got to be an easier way... You could probably react methyl lithium or methyl magnesium bromide with acetone, then acid work up. Its just a bit tedious and expensive for something that you would probably want in solvent quantities (i.e. 100s of grams).

Never mind the t-butanol, a guy just PM'd me with a brand that's about half. Yay!

Back to the tetralin synthesis, to wrap up the details.

"There is also a published synth using sodium in ethanol to reduce naphthalene to tetralin and then on to decalin. I've actually run this reaction, and yields are a lot higher using a neutral (decane) hydrocarbon with naphthalene dissolved in it, adding sodium, and reducing with ethanol."

It says to use decane in the synthesis, but I have no idea where to find that. Would propane work?

And what do they mean by sodium? Surely not elemental sodium.

As for ethanol, I can use rubbing alcohol (70%) for that. Although it might be better to get a pure sample of the stuff.