How long are strings?

Airbrush

According to String Theory, all matter is composed of vibrating "strings". What are the size and dimensions of a string? I suppose they are 2 dimensional with no thickness, only length, as the name implies. How long would the string be in Planck Lengths? (A Planck length is approx 10^-20 of the diameter of a proton.)

According to String Theory, all matter is composed of vibrating "strings". What are the size and dimensions of a string? I suppose they are 2 dimensional with no thickness, only length, as the name implies. How long would the string be in Planck Lengths? (A Planck length is approx 10^-20 of the diameter of a proton.)

First off - they are one dimensional, ie they have length and nothing else. I think the length is around the planck scale. Here is a good site for the beginner - frankly I am unconvinced of the utility of studying any string theory other than for the astounding maths these guys use, and in a heuristic text-based format I think it is a bit of a waste of time. The standard model of particle physics is amazing enough to be going on with, let alone another level of abstraction.

First off - they are one dimensional, ie they have length and nothing else. I think the length is around the planck scale. Here is a good site for the beginner - frankly I am unconvinced of the utility of studying any string theory other than for the astounding maths these guys use, and in a heuristic text-based format I think it is a bit of a waste of time. The standard model of particle physics is amazing enough to be going on with, let alone another level of abstraction.

Thanks for your explanation!