distilling equipment

Ice_Phoenix87

here`s a tip, one I`ve found to my cost on several occasions and STILL haven`t learned my lesson :))

remove the collection vessel BEFORE removing the heat! if you don`t the gas will contract and suck the cold distilate back up and shatter your distillation vessel (as well as ruin your work).

that`s all for now :)

• 4 months later...

LOL YT2095!

Mostly, I remove my distillation vessels as they fill up.

Never had the fluid level reach the spout in one.

Anyways, I don't think that would ruin an enameled steel pot :D

But it WOULD be a shame to have to distill the same liquid all over again.

Good point to remember! :)

Im not aware of any sites like that in Australia apart from the sites that sell chemicals to companies and not to people. there is this site

http://www.testtube.com.au/CHEMICALS/chemicals.html

but the chemicals are at insanely high prices. "Iron oxide magnetic TECH 500 gm 90.00" !!! i can get kilo's of the stuff for free easily.

I came across this site when i was looking for an electronic scale. I still havn't found one that I want though. The only one that I have found that comes close to what I want is one that weighs 5000g * 1g for $310 aus dollars. I want somthing that weighs maybe up to 250 - 500 gm with acuraccy of 0.1g. For somthing like that how much would I expect to pay?