What does this error mean?

questionposter

I think on my graphing calculator that I somehow accidentally did an intersection on an asymtote or the actual line that represents "undefined" and the calculator said "ERR: SINGULARITY". What does that mean?

In mathematics, a singularity is in general a point at which a given mathematical object is not defined, or a point of an exceptional set where it fails to be well-behaved in some particular way, such as differentiability. See Singularity theory for general discussion of the geometric theory, which only covers some aspects.

Mathematical Singularity

You were asking the calculator to do something not possible - and it responded with an accurate error message

Edited by imatfaal

Mathematical Singularity

You were asking the calculator to do something not possible - and it responded with an accurate error message

I guess I get why the calculator said it, but I don't get what a singularity is in geometry. Why is that a manifold failing? Is a string not suppose to fold in on itself with only two dimensions? What about waves?

I think on my graphing calculator that I somehow accidentally did an intersection on an asymtote or the actual line that represents "undefined" and the calculator said "ERR: SINGULARITY". What does that mean?

i believe your equation opened a small black hole that has begun to suck the Universe down to a highly fused, indivisible entity. See if you can find the inverse of the equation to get the Universe expanding again. Thanks.

Edited by Neptyoon