Understanding the human brain

Tres Juicy

Are you talking about understanding of the structure of the brain or the psychology of humans?

I think studying the structure of the brain first would help studying the psychologies of humans later on. Well, psychology is more like a result of years of brain activity. So I guess studying children or fetuses or other animals' brain would do better.:o

Clearly the way we perceive colours IS directly related structure of the brain, i.e. the arrangement of neural circuitry.

Well with all due respect I would sooner accept the findings of a reputable scientific study on the matter rather than your personal opinion.

Anyway from information on Dyslexia Australia's website:

it looks as though this notion that colour perception problems cause dyslexia is nothing more than psuedoscience nonsense!

Well, with equal respect, I don't blindly worship at the alter of a study's findings without a critical analysis of its scope, content, and procedures regardless of its reputation. All that I have suggested is a possibility based on known sensory processing abnormalities that provide clear evidence of non-uniformity in how we may individually perceive and interpret visual information. Although I understand your passion, we are all merely rendering our "personal opinion" based on our individual perspective and study of the available research. Clearly, we perceive this subject differently--which, again, is all I am suggesting.

Also, on a separate note to all, I do not engage the point/reputation option on this board as I have stated elsewhere. Should anyone find their comments rated, it was not my doing. That option, as I have learned, is a meaningless popularity game that at least one particularly vindictive and ego obsessed juvenile anonymously plays here to often pit one poster against another in the mistaken belief that reputation points equal credibility. I should think that commentary enveloping substantive study encompassing many years and multiple desciplines rather than artfully appropriated Wikipedic references equal credibility. Nevertherless, should I agree or disagree with any comments here, I will express my opinion in words rather than points.

Well, with equal respect, I don't blindly worship at the alter of a study's findings without a critical analysis of its scope, content, and procedures regardless of its reputation. All that I have suggested is a possibility based on known sensory processing abnormalities that provide clear evidence of non-uniformity in how we may individually perceive and interpret visual information. Although I understand your passion, we are all merely rendering our "personal opinion" based on our individual perspective and study of the available research. Clearly, we perceive this subject differently--which, again, is all I am suggesting.

Also, on a separate note to all, I do not engage the point/reputation option on this board as I have stated elsewhere. Should anyone find their comments rated, it was not my doing. That option, as I have learned, is a meaningless popularity game that at least one particularly vindictive and ego obsessed juvenile anonymously plays here to often pit one poster against another in the mistaken belief that reputation points equal credibility. I should think that commentary enveloping substantive study encompassing many years and multiple desciplines rather than artfully appropriated Wikipedic references equal credibility. Nevertherless, should I agree or disagree with any comments here, I will express my opinion in words rather than points.

Look I agree that our perception of colour is not uniform. The study I cited clearly stated there was a high degree of accuracy in the matching of colours by different test subjects, but clearly there was not unaminity on the exact shades.

But I find it VERY hard to believe that there would be fundamental differences in perception of colour, as opposed to deficits due to colour blindness.

My general knowledge of evolution and genetics is telling me that fundamentally different colour perception would be equivalent to a fith limb or a third eye.

Such a radical difference in neural architecture cannot just appear from no where.

• 4 months later...

As an addendum to this topic, readers may want to check-out the July/August 2012 special issue Of Discover Magazine for the article,"Do You Have Superhuman Vision?". This article suggests that "An unknown number of women may perceive millions of colors invisible to the rest of us." The article appears to provide further evidence of how we may not all perceive color uniformly.