another beginner question

boronbrad

Hello Before I begin, my last query was shot down as the person who replied had some concerns. Let me preface by saying I am not doing anything illegal or dangerous. I just enjoy learning diverse topics from economics to chemistry to quantum physics to cosmology. Incidentally I really have a hunch that they wont find the higgs and having just stumbled onto reich after hearing him in passing as a teenager, (from reading burroughs) his orgone energy deserves a serious look. But anyhow for another time. My question: I am wondering, of all the synths I see on line that use fixed measures. Are they optimized for these specific measures or can any and all of them be scaled upwards or down for that matter, so long as the ratios remain the same? If they are optimized for these specific masses/volumes could you explain why quickly? Thank you very much. Thanks if I could afford school i wouldnt be bothering yall.

Some reactions can be scaled up to gram scale and above and down to mg scale, but certainly not all. Typically it is much harder and more tedious to scale up rather than down and still retain good, if any yield. Asides from the added risks involved in increasing the amounts of various reagents, solvents, etc., larger scale reactions tend to suffer from an increased amount of byproduct formation due to issues involving mixing and heat transfer (there are others, I'm sure, but I'm not too familiar with them); these are things that aren't usually a problem when you're talking about mmol or mg scale reactions, but can be quite problematic when going up to gram scale and become even more of an issue when you move up to kg or industrial scale. It is often not simply a case of multiplying the amount of reagents and solvents you need when you are scaling up - you have to use common sense and generally you will need to re-optimise the conditions.

Scaling down you can usually get away with using ratios to determine how much of each component you need to use with no detriment to the yield. The only real exception to that is in considering solvent quantities, since using extremely small amounts of solvent really isn't feasible. Increasing dilution is, however, something that can be easily overcome by altering other reaction conditions such as reaction time or temperature.

Thanks very much.

Some reactions can be scaled up to gram scale and above and down to mg scale, but certainly not all. Typically it is much harder and more tedious to scale up rather than down and still retain good, if any yield. Asides from the added risks involved in increasing the amounts of various reagents, solvents, etc., larger scale reactions tend to suffer from an increased amount of byproduct formation due to issues involving mixing and heat transfer (there are others, I'm sure, but I'm not too familiar with them); these are things that aren't usually a problem when you're talking about mmol or mg scale reactions, but can be quite problematic when going up to gram scale and become even more of an issue when you move up to kg or industrial scale. It is often not simply a case of multiplying the amount of reagents and solvents you need when you are scaling up - you have to use common sense and generally you will need to re-optimise the conditions.

Scaling down you can usually get away with using ratios to determine how much of each component you need to use with no detriment to the yield. The only real exception to that is in considering solvent quantities, since using extremely small amounts of solvent really isn't feasible. Increasing dilution is, however, something that can be easily overcome by altering other reaction conditions such as reaction time or temperature.