Is it possible transfer human subconscious into a robot?

No Matter

Is it possible transfer human subconscious into a robot?

I am asking this in two ways:

1)is it possible theoretically?

2)is it possible practically(not or will it be in the next few years {by few I mean 1-30 years})?

Thanks for answering.

Theoretically yes. Practically not a chance.

Consciousness is just a series of electrical impulses shot off by neurons in the brain.

Easy enough to accomplish if we had the technology, but we are nowhere near discovering technology like that.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I do not know how one would transfer the human conciousness into a machine because we have no way of accessing the vast amount of information in our brains (scientists estimate that the human brain can roughtly hold 2 petabytes of info), not to mention we do not know where it is. In the moment the techinques for scanning the brain are being refined and made smaller but we are no where near in being able to make a copy of our conciousness on a computer. The brain is much more complex than simply firing neurons.

As for AI: I think we are pretty close (although scientists have said this during the 60s and 80s before) but the necessary computing power has not been reached yet. Using moores law however one can pretty accurately predict the processing power of computers to any given year. the amount of transistors is growing exponentially. (check out the wiki article on moores law) Well, in the moment the average cpu will have about 10^9 transistors and by 2020 around 32 times that amount. I do not think this will suffice, in 2030-2040 when computers are a hundred times faster than that of today's, then I think the hardware for AI is set. We probably will have a quantum computer revolution also during this period which would outperform the classical transistor based cpu by lightyears (this is independant to moores law tho, and therefore cannot be predicted as precisely). Eventhough we have this hardware barrier, constructing an intelligent brain like neural network in the form of software is a second obstacle to overcome.

Human mind is still a mistery. Scientists believe that the mind is just a collective form of all the senses, memory etc. But we all feel there is something that isn't just that. Senses that aren't related to our surroundings and the things we know. If the brain is all that makes the mind, we simply can't put a mind into a robot. Our brain is so complex , made better and better every moment, for thousands of years. Whatever technology we can make is also made by the same brain. So we'll have to wait for maybe another 4 or 5 hundred years to solve this mystery.who knows!

• 2 months later...

Theoretically possible? Sure. Will it be possible in any of our lifetimes? Absolutely not. Besides, it is pretty scary to think about it and Scientifically or Socially. I wonder though, would a robot know if it had a subconscious. Would we be able to describe it and teach a robot what it is? Even creepier...what if robots, whether ones that are build in high school science labs to just roll around or more advanced ones like the DARPA proto(?) already have subconsciousness....

UmpOi.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The magazine of 'The Institute of Engineering and Technology' recently reported that at least fifty companies worldwide, are known to be conducting experiments using human brain cells to do the calculations etc in computers (I have forgotten the technical term for the part human brain cells replace). The article did not say how the cells are obtained!

(IET is amongst the leading world orgaisations for education and training.)