Black Hole Particle Convolution.

Imparticle

What happens to the particles that black holes gobble up??

I realized that since the speed of light is constant, as it travels through space that is distorted by mass (planet's gravity, water) it APPEARS to slow down, but actually it is traveling at the same constant speed, only the funnel of space that is its passage is bent by mass and thus distorts its relative travel. This explains why a photon appears to move slowly through a massive substance, but retains its constant speed once it reenters the vacuum.

Applying that logic to black holes was enjoyable. Since a black hole is essentially bending space to the point at which the singularity is space turned inside out, I figured that particles travelling into the singularity of the black hole do not stop. Photons always travel at their constant speed, so in the event that their passage becomes inside out, the only passage I could imagine for them to take would be backwards in time. It is a silly, but frank, word to describe the idea, but, there it is. The point is, from the perspective of the backwards particles, nothing is really happening; on the other hand, from our perspective, the particles are still contained within the singularity of the black hole, because as long as they are being propelled backwards in SPACETIME--the convoluted spacetime of the singularity--it is impossible for them to relatively exit the event. This would explain why no particles observably exit the black hole.

What happens to the particles that black holes gobble up??

I realized that since the speed of light is constant, as it travels through space that is distorted by mass (planet's gravity, water) it APPEARS to slow down, but actually it is traveling at the same constant speed, only the funnel of space that is its passage is bent by mass and thus distorts its relative travel. This explains why a photon appears to move slowly through a massive substance, but retains its constant speed once it reenters the vacuum.

I don't think this is right. A photon appears to move slowly through a massive substance because it is not the same photon. A photon enters the substance and is absorbed by an electron in an atom. The electron then goes to a higher energy. At some random time later, the electron drops to a lower energy, and releases a new photon. The new photon is then absorbed by another atom's electron. And another new electron is then released. Etc.

So each individual photon travels at the speed of light from atom to atom in the substance, but there is a delay time from its being absorbed and a new photon released. So light appears to be going slower through the substance.

I think the warping (bending) of space (and time) due to each atom's mass is so tiny as to have a negligible effect here.

Edited by IM Egdall

I don't think this is right. A photon appears to move slowly through a massive substance because it is not the same photon. A photon enters the substance and is absorbed by an electron in an atom. The electron then goes to a higher energy. At some random time later, the electron drops to a lower energy, and releases a new photon. The new photon is then absorbed by another atom's electron. And another new electron is then released. Etc.

So each individual photon travels at the speed of light from atom to atom in the substance, but there is a delay time from its being absorbed and a new photon released. So light appears to be going slower through the substance.

I think the warping (bending) of space (and time) due to each atom's mass is so tiny as to have a negligible effect here.

Yes, well that's true. I didn't consider that process during my thinking. However, light still is effected by distorted space, as observed when it is bent by a planet's gravity. It was essentially this behavior of photons I was stepping on. Make sense?

The speed of light is c in all reference frames, so aphoton travels at c as it exits the event horizon .Unfortunately , by then it has expended all its energy climbing out of the steep gravitational well of the black hole, that its wavelength is red-shifted to infinity. ie zero energy, so nothing actually exits.

S Hawking has an idea similar to yours as an explanation for Hawking radiation. In this case one of the virtual particles that is injested by the event horizon, is actually considered to be travelling backwards in time as it travels up, out of the black hole, it is then scattered by the event horizon into a normal particle moving foreward in time by the event horizon, and continues on its way as Hawking radiation.

This however involves particles with mass not photons.

The speed of light is c in all reference frames, so aphoton travels at c as it exits the event horizon .Unfortunately , by then it has expended all its energy climbing out of the steep gravitational well of the black hole, that its wavelength is red-shifted to infinity. ie zero energy, so nothing actually exits.

S Hawking has an idea similar to yours as an explanation for Hawking radiation. In this case one of the virtual particles that is injested by the event horizon, is actually considered to be travelling backwards in time as it travels up, out of the black hole, it is then scattered by the event horizon into a normal particle moving foreward in time by the event horizon, and continues on its way as Hawking radiation.

This however involves particles with mass not photons.

Well, at any rate, I'm pleased that I was compared to a theory suggested by Mr. Hawking. As to the first paragraph, does that mean the energy is "destroyed". Isn't that inherently impossible? Is that why Stephen Hawking suggested an alternative? Because the conclusion of this idea would be that the photon never escapes the center of the event, unless space is un-convoluted, that is to say, turned right-side in. That would allow the particles to escape backwards entrapment and they would appear out of the straightening space--hypothetically. But it is my understanding that black holes do not collapse... True?