piezoelectric reactive fabric . . .

woppit

Hi, im new here.

i have a question. Is there a fabric or metal that will Contract and Expand with -/+ piezoelectric E? or normal DC current?

I am looking at the possibility of replicating fish maneuvering ability to use for marine applications.

Possible?

Thanks

Hi, im new here.

i have a question. Is there a fabric or metal that will Contract and Expand with -/+ piezoelectric E? or normal DC current?

I am looking at the possibility of replicating fish maneuvering ability to use for marine applications.

Possible?

Thanks

The only thing I can think of is muscle wire (I think that's a brand name, can't remember the generic term, sorry). It doesn't so much expand/contract as bend or assume a different shape when heated by electricity.

I think there's also some exotic stuff involving nanotubes, but I don't think it is mass market yet.

Thats a shame, i thought we were a bit further ahead than that. oh well ill sit on it for a few years,

Thank you

:)

Oh it seems you can get Smart fabrics that emit a charge from movement, has anyone tried to put a charge through these fabrics to see what happens?

The only thing I can think of is muscle wire (I think that's a brand name, can't remember the generic term, sorry). It doesn't so much expand/contract as bend or assume a different shape when heated by electricity.

I think there's also some exotic stuff involving nanotubes, but I don't think it is mass market yet.

The term is nickle titanium wire,

Nitinol Wire...