New computer method for analysing histology

Ross Balch

I read this news topic on Nature News (Article)

As a medical scientist I find this particulary exciting, current histological methods are somewhat variable due the human analysis of slides, this kind of technique could provide a very valuable standard given more data and research into the technology.

I read this news topic on Nature News (Article)

As a medical scientist I find this particularly exciting, current histological methods are somewhat variable due the human analysis of slides, this kind of technique could provide a very valuable standard given more data and research into the technology.

I agree, very interesting. Of course the implication is that this is just the beginning of computer microscopic interface analysis in medicine. Other than histology they are making good strides in computer interface digital pathology. Diagnostic medicine as well as treatment determinations, especially I think treatment combination analysis/ determinations/ therapies will follow in maybe the next decade or so. After that I would expect to hear of computer genetic analysis and diagnostics. There seemingly will be no end to its medical applications.

//

Edited by pantheory

That is awesome. Couple that with organs made to order, and we should see a new era in medicine like no other.

Yep, here's the latest: pituitary gland grown in-vitro without scaffolding.

http://www.sciencene...nd_grows_itself

First organ grown in-vitro and transplanted: Bladder

http://news.national...4_bladders.html

-- and as you said my friend, that's only the beginning.

Edited by pantheory

Yeah i liked the pituitary gland too, some scientists who commented on NS played down the importance of this due to te fact that the pituitary isn't an organ we need to grow due to hormone replacement therapy, but i think the missed the fact that this is a great stepping stone.

Yeah i liked the pituitary gland too, some scientists who commented on NS played down the importance of this due to the fact that the pituitary isn't an organ we need to grow due to hormone replacement therapy, but i think the missed the fact that this is a great stepping stone.

I agree.

The pituitary gland produces several different hormones throughout life. If it is not functioning properly then there could be many related maladies. The question becomes: can hormone replacement therapy treat all of these problems adequately and does a person want to be dependent on injections their remaining life? (rhetorical). If they can grow a new pituitary gland in-vitro and have it implanted in an accessible part of the body where it can continuously produce these hormones, then I would prefer this procedure to injections for life if it were me. Also the main point I think is that they can now produce some organs without necessarily having to provide scaffolding for it if the proper techniques are used, which provides new insights and possibilities for research concerning growing a variety of organs in-vitro.

//

Edited by pantheory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.