Magnesium chloride

Elliott007

1320952487[/url]' post='637839']

Well, seeing as that the composition of magnesium chloride is [ce]MgCl2[/ce] and that we're told it decomposes (i.e., breaks down), the most probable reaction would be [ce]MgCl2 -> Mg_{(s)} + Cl2_{(g)}[/ce].

Would it make magnesium metal or would it react with the oxygen to make magnesium oxide?

• 2 weeks later...

magnesium is not stable as an element of its own, chances are that it is reactive and would react to form magnesium oxide, oxidized by oxygen. As temperatures so high are still present, it would certainly be magnesium oxide, a brittle compound. magnesium strips react with oxygen just with a flame burning, much less 300 degress of heating... -.-

magnesium is not stable as an element of its own, chances are that it is reactive and would react to form magnesium oxide, oxidized by oxygen. As temperatures so high are still present, it would certainly be magnesium oxide, a brittle compound. magnesium strips react with oxygen just with a flame burning, much less 300 degress of heating... -.-

I would add that it is probably difficult to avoid some sort of post-reaction to occur. In many cases, a decomp (or similar reaction) may be carried out in an environment (e.g. nitrogen) that is inert towards the target metal. However, magnesium makes the nitride and oxide when heated in air, so it may be difficult in practice to get pure Mg this way. Electrolysis of the molten compound is a better bet I suppose.

Edited by mrteverett

I think it would create Magnesium flakes under heat. When Mg was first discovered, it was reacted with K vapors to produce pure Mg.

But considering the heat, it will probably form MgO (magnesium is highly reactive w/ O2)...but I'm not sure, haven't tried this experiment.

Have you considered heating under vacuum, is that even a possibility does anyone know?

Would it make magnesium metal or would it react with the oxygen to make magnesium oxide?