Voltage and current that a specific acid under specific circumstances produces

Catapult

Hello,

I would like to ask if it is possible to know the exact or if not closest voltage and current that a specific acid under specific circumstances produces.

For example, how much volts and amperes can a 10 milliliter 10% Acetic Acid (CH3CO2H) produce? The cathode and anode I am going to use are Copper (Cu) and Zinc (Zn) respectively.

Is there any formula for this?

I also heard that the two metals are the big deal here. But I'm really confused.

Thank you.

Edited by Catapult

With the system you are suggesting, I'm going to venture out and say not much. Are you trying to make a galvanic cell here or an electrolytic one? I had initially thought you might be trying for the former, but your set up is very flawed if this is the case. As for electrolytic cells, well for those to work you need an external voltage applied, so you're question becomes somewhat moot.

Could you perhaps clarify?

Without meaning to sound condescending at all, I'm curious as to how much you know about electrochemistry? It might be worth your while doing a little reading on the basics on these areas. Are you actually planning on constructing this? If so, if might be easier for us to help you if we knew what purpose it was for?

Oh, and as a brief side note:

Is there any formula for this?

The formula you are looking for are called half reactions and involves redox chemistry. If you do some reading up on Galvanic cells, you'll certainly come across these.

One other thing: acetic acid is a pretty weak electrolyte in its own right. If this is for an electrolytic cell, you're better off using something else or adding other things to it to make it a stronger one.

Hello hypervalent_iodine,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I really don't know what are galvanic cell and electrolytic. I am just a hobbyist therefore I don't know the basics of chemistry. Would you recommend me some good resource for learning chemistry?

This my idea was originally came from a simple project called vinegar battery. I just like removed the contaminants of the vinegar and strengthen a bit its concentration.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edited by Catapult

Ah, right, gotcha. I've heard of lemon and potato batteries, but I hadn't heard of vinegar ones before (ignorant organic chemist I suppose).

Back to your question. I'm not terribly sure what sort of voltage you'd get out of a system like that. The point of the acetic acid isn't really to generate the charge so much as carry it; the reactions that are giving you an electrical current occur at the metal cathodes/anodes. I'm not sure of any good sites to read up on this aspect of it, since I very rarely concern myself with this type of chemistry. Wiki may be a good starting point.

The easiest way to figure out how much voltage you can get out of this type of battery would be to make it and test it with a voltammeter.

Thank you for response.

What acids do you know more which are slightly stronger but as safer than Acetic Acid? I don't want to experiment with a corrosives ones.

Thank you.

Edited by Catapult

Since this is only a hobby thing, I would recommend sticking with the vinegar. Have you can get a hold of a voltmeter, you could compare the difference between various house hold items such as the aforementioned lemon (or any citrus fruit). The power you get from these is very small, probably only enough to light up a small LED if you used a couple in a series of some sort, but it's enough if all you're trying to do is see how things work, so to speak.

Thank you for your response.

Good thing I have voltmeter. I heard also that a lead-acid battery has many cells on it to produce high voltage. I want to try this also to put many cells on my hobby project but I heard that every different metals should be separated by something. Do you know this something that separate?

Thank you.

Edited by Catapult

Thank you for response.

I am trying to make my hobby project using 10% acetic acid, zinc and copper. But I have problem with the acetic acid. Is this 10% acetic acid safe to experiment with?

Thank you.

Edited by Catapult

10% is fairly benign, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Take obvious precautions such as not drinking it or putting it in your eyes, avoid skin contact, etc. If you're concerned, you can look up the material safety data sheet (MSDS) for 10% acetic acid solution. It will list what to do if you have an accident, etc. Maybe other members here would like to interject with any other concerns, but it seems safe to me.