Is there such thing as a pathological lying disorder?

Abirami

No, there is at this time no recognized diagnostic category as such. Individuals who exhibit frequent lying behavior might fall under diagnoses of Antisocial Personality Disorder (though they would likely be doing so for some kind of material gain, or possibly just simple enjoyment) or perhaps Borderline Personality Disorder (though they'd likely be doing so as part of an unhealthy relationship--as a means to punish or keep someone close, etc.) or perhaps Histrionic Personality Disorder (though, for attention). Conduct Disorder in children often includes a lot of lying, but again, this lying is usually going to be focused towards attempting to evade consequences for the large amount of trouble they're usually getting themselves into.

First off, Catcher in the Rye is by Salinger. JD Salinger. And second: what?

Sorry, must have been thinking about Of Mice and Men. Anyway, it's about a kid who essentially does have a pathological lying disorder. Throughout the book I kept thinking "wtf, why did he lie about that?", and it seems accurate in trying to portray a real person. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that character was reflective of the Author's own childhood.

Edited by questionposter

You should read "Catcher in the Rye" by John Steinbeck, maybe that will answer your question.

How would any piece of fiction answer the question of whether there is a pathological lying disorder? I know what you mean about the character in Catcher in the Rye, but I would think this is a matter for current clinical psychiatry.

What about compulsive liars? From what I can see, they have gone beyond lying for gain and now do so purely out of habit. I guess that still would not constitute a disorder.

How would any piece of fiction answer the question of whether there is a pathological lying disorder? I know what you mean about the character in Catcher in the Rye, but I would think this is a matter for current clinical psychiatry.

What about compulsive liars? From what I can see, they have gone beyond lying for gain and now do so purely out of habit. I guess that still would not constitute a disorder.

Well the good books by good authors, like Catcher in the Rye, are realistic and do good at emphasizing points in reality that are otherwise not seen, which is why books like that are so well known. It wasn't really meant to be a discussion, just a quick thought.