Recrystalization from pentane-ether

00rich

One of the steps in an experiment I have to do is recrystallization from pentane-ether.

Does this mean I have to dissolve the product in a mixture of hot pentane and ether mixed together, filter , and then let the solution cool slowly to crystallize out the product?

Or does this mean I can use either pentane or ether?

Assuming I use a mixture of the two, does 50/50 mixture of the two make sense?

Easiest way to check would be to look up the solubility of your compound in each of these. I would say you only need one solvent, although there's no harm in trying the mix if you have ample product. The worst thing I can see happening is that your compound doesn't dissolve in it at all or the impurities dissolve along with it, which are both easily fixed. To do the recrystallisation itself, I would normally put a small amount of solvent in a flask containing my product and heat it to near boiling with a heat gun. It's much more efficient than pre-boiling the solvent on a hot plate. After that, if I see any precipitate persisting in the solution, I'll vacuum filter the solution through a fine, sintered funnel into an RBF. If not, then I just remove the solvent on the rot evap and dry it under high vacuum.