Basic Terms

kinetic energy is energy of movement (momentum)

a marble at 60mph has more kinetic energy than a marble at 0mph

static energy is energy without movement

for instance a marble at 0mph still has static energy because if you annihalated it with antimatter it would still get energy

C.P.

Thanks..I think that did it...

Well done examples..anyone could understand..

I have a book on Basic Phyics..that makes it so hard to understand those two basic concepts, I thought I better come here and ask the physic boys/girls to give me the short version.

Ed84C...

thank you for that wonderful formula....KE=1/2mv^2.

I was reminded of the Law of Energy Conservation:

Energy can not be created or destroyed. It can change form as well as change from potential (at rest or static energy) to KE or kinetic energy (energy in motion).

However, I am completely stumped with Newton's first Law...

1. An object at rest tend to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion at a constant speed.

This seems patently false. If I take my marble as used above in a former post...and push it, according to Newton's law the marble should roll forever, and at a constant speed. But clearly it doesn't, and slows down and stops.

What stops it...Newton's third Law?

"1. An object at rest tend to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion at a constant speed"....unless acted upon by another force. In the case of your marble, the other force is friction. Friction eventually slows all things down. Unless, of course, the enviroment the marble is in is a vacuum. If you were to throw that marble in space, where there is no air or ground to cause friction, (assuming that it did not run into anything) it would continue at a constant speed until it reaches the ËDGE OF THE UNIVERSE...lol

All the equation that ed84c gave you was saying that KE (kenetic energy) = 1/2 m (mass) times v (the speed of the object) squared.

Hope that helped.

"1. An object at rest tend to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion at a constant speed"....unless acted upon by another force. In the case of your marble' date=' the other force is friction. Friction eventually slows all things down. Unless, of course, the enviroment the marble is in is a vacuum. If you were to throw that marble in space, where there is no air or ground to cause friction, (assuming that it did not run into anything) it would continue at a constant speed until it reaches the ËDGE OF THE UNIVERSE...lol

All the equation that ed84c gave you was saying that KE (kenetic energy) = 1/2 m (mass) times v (the speed of the object) squared.

Hope that helped.[/quote']

Max: Jake it did, and I have pasted and copied it for my own personal science notes. I personally find this entire board a reservoir of untaped knowledge yet to be drank from.