What make us think what?

Well. I had a naive idea a few minutes ago, due to that i'm kinda ashamed to share and ask about but i'm gonna do that.

On various historical moments, we had ideas that were possible due to some variables.

What were these variables? Why they made/make us think like that? What are the possible variables and what can they make us think?

Do you know some book or something about it? Do you think i'm completely stoned/drunk?

GustavoB,

I think it is a constant thing that happens. Each of us has ideas based on what is happening around us.

Say somebody finds some object of value in the junk in the attic.

Everybody that hears about, takes a peek in their attic.

With ideas, everybody is constantly putting all the "variables" together in their minds in various ways. Taking the new things that are discovered, and seeing if that "idea" fits anything else they know about.

Many times an advance in one field of science or technology or industry, will be followed by a flurry of advances in other fields of endeavor as that "idea" is modified and applied to other things.

"Good" ideas, we hear about (that work) are instantly incorporated in our thinking and are integrated, across the board of ideas and things we are concerned with, to see if that "idea" might be applied elsewhere.

"Bad" ideas, (that don't work) are simply discarded.

That is my take.

Does that address your question at all?

Regards, TAR2

I think one of the most beautiful things about being human is our ability to make decisions.

Computers work based on what they're told to do, they have a preset reaction to things, and everything they do is predicted since we decide it. No matter how advanced we get with technology, I don't think we will ever be able to recreate the peculiar aspects that drive us to make decisions.

As humans, we are constantly balancing emotion & logic. We don't eat that extra piece of chocolate cake because we know we shouldn't overindulge and poison our body with excess food- using logic over a passionate, bodily-driven emotion. However, emotions are important as well, because they allow us to have empathy and help others. In my opinion, this hastens evolution, because through compassion we, for example, keep others from making the same mistakes we did. Society errs from enjoying gladiators killing each other at a coliseum and other pursuits are delved into.... such as technology & science! We become more compassionate and less animalistic.

Also, what's peculiar about humans is our ability to create. Every idea is based off a previous one. We create more advanced versions of a previous, similar model. True genius is being able to come up with a very advanced, innovative idea based on where we are standing.... and many humans have demonstrated this quality.

As for WHY decisions are made in history, I think everything follows a pattern, it's probably just too complicated for us to perceive.... we would have to observe events & when they occur over a very long period of time to record a pattern to make predictions from.

Hopefully I was on the right track with your topic =p

Appolinaria,

Nice post. I think we are thinking along the same lines.

I might add (assuming we are addressing GustovoB's question), that we work with what others have achieved. Stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak.

For instance, a team comes up with a "Nano", or other device with certain capabilities, and EVERYBODY goes to work finding uses for it, that improve it's usefulness.

Such with ideas. Good ones are improved upon and shared. The shared ideas that work, are improved upon, and shared again.

Regards, TAR2

Thank you so much, Tar.

Your response is what actually helped develop mine, so now we can see the topic of this post is coming into play..... in itself! Lol.

You are very right, with one development we are led to another... the cool thing is how brilliant & different every mind is. Without our individuality we wouldn't be progressing so quickly, in my opinion. And those giants are never forgotten, so many men have spent their lives studying the stars, the universe- with such limited resources, and laid the path for scientists today.

• 3 weeks later...

Well. I had a naive idea a few minutes ago, due to that i'm kinda ashamed to share and ask about but i'm gonna do that.

On various historical moments, we had ideas that were possible due to some variables.

What were these variables? Why they made/make us think like that? What are the possible variables and what can they make us think?

Do you know some book or something about it? Do you think i'm completely stoned/drunk?

Things are not as deterministic as your making them seem. There's literally infinite variables causing things to be the way they are. Even the gravity of of a grain of dust in a remote galaxy effects us in a very small way. Yeah there's free will and consciousness and all that but we really don't have good explanations or even really good definitions for those. Your question is unanswerable or the answer is undefined (see x/0).

Edited by questionposter