Hey why is chemistry tucked away in the 'other sciences' section?

Bernstein

probably because there are not many sub heading from chemistry... it is of huge significance and has a lot of threads etc, but it cannot easily divide into lotsa sections and to be honest, who really cares? (so long as it is there somewhere!)

I`ve no Idea to be honest, and I`m a Moderator.

we could certainly have:

General Chem.

Bio-Chem.

Organic-Chem.

Inorganic Chem etc...

"Other" isn`t quite fitting, I agree. Esp when you consider that Maths has so many subdivision within a forum all to itself.

i think that the most popular chem is just mixing chemicals to make things!... thats what most threads are about, i think that current system is ok.

i prefer it when something such as chemistry is just kept as one section... its easier!

I`ve no Idea to be honest' date=' and I`m a Moderator.

we could certainly have:

General Chem.

Bio-Chem.

Organic-Chem.

Inorganic Chem etc...

"Other" isn`t quite fitting, I agree. Esp when you consider that Maths has so many subdivision within a forum all to itself.[/quote']

I agree. Chemistry has at least equal amount of subdivisions as physics or math. In fact just BioChem alone has enough subdivisions to be classed as a internet forum all of it's own! ;)

i think that the most popular chem is just mixing chemicals to make things!... thats what most threads are about' date=' i think that current system is ok.

i prefer it when something such as chemistry is just kept as one section... its easier![/quote']oh dear God!

Chem is just a little more REFINED than "just mixing chemicals to make things!... "

you TOTALY missed the point, it would STILL have it`s own section, it just wouldn`t be stuck in "Other Science" like it was a topic that only fits in a Misc drawer.

According to scienceforums.net Chemistry is equated in value to 'General Sciences' and 'Computer Sciences'. Now can you think of a logical argument for why that should be?

Btw. "I doesn't really matter as long as it's..." does NOT count as a logical argument. :)

We don't organise the forums by how important people think the topics are, we organise them by how busy they get.

At one time the Chemistry forum was actually split into several sub-forums, however there was not much traffic through them which actually makes it more laborious to moderate.

If it gets busier in there it will - in all likelihood - be reorganised again.

well over the last few weeks it`s been "choca" seriously, check the records :)

and moderation is seldom needed (fortunately!).

I realise it`ll prolly mean more work for you (admin) to sort the threads into their places, but "Pyro" as a topic seems quite popular, increasingly so. perhaps a forum in chem for that wouldn`t be a bad idea, I can`t see that becomming a "Flop" somehow, I`ll have to write a Sticky though as for it`s usage, not a prob either :)