LHC make or break?

hawksmere

The Higgs mechanism, which is the most widely accepted theory of the origin of mass in the universe. If all goes well at the LHC (in the next year!?) the standard model will prove not only to be correct but will put us on the path to standardising a theory for everything as I’m sure gravity will be the next quest. But what if it doesn't go according to plan?? What if there is no higgs particle? The standard model without the higgs particle makes the whole model useless, or does it?

When two W particles collide at energies more than 1000 times their mass, surely the standard model (minus the higgs) will not be a formula that can be used to calculate the scattering process. So is it really to be or not to be? Sorry if I’m a little vague.

Just want to know what will happen to physics and the standard model if we don't find the higgs (given the 1 yr deadline)?

Since the standard model explains just about everything else about particle physics, I don't believe it will go away. The theory is not wrong, but it is incomplete. The Higgs particle is an attempt to fill in a gap. Theoreticians will have to think up something else if the Higgs is not found.

1. Time Travel.

Seriously. Because the LHC is experimenting with space and time on a scale never before used by humanity, this is when we start conceivably working towards time travel. Time travel starts with the first time machine, therefore some Russian mathematicians have calculated that now is when we could start seeing time travelers from the future. I’m holding my breath, John Connor.

2. Mini black holes.

There was a group of European scientists led by a Dr. Otto Rossler that submitted a formal complaint to the European Court of Human Rights, begging them not to turn on the LHC because as far as all calculations can predict, it could create a mini black hole that would increase in size exponentially and suck the world into oblivion within four years. The scientists at CERN did not deny the claims, because that is entirely possible. A four-year end-of-the-world party? Yeah, why not.

3. The Higgs-boson.

Science has never seen one of these, but theoretically they must exist, and if the experiments succeed in creating one of these, it would explain why any and all particles have mass. Sort of like answering the age-old “why is anything anything?” question.

4. The Multiverse.

If the experiments manage to produce another theoretical particle, called a gluino, this would explain that our universe is only one of many, according to string theory.

5. New dimensions to our Universe.

Another thing string theorists would get a rise out of is that the LHC experiments could ostensibly show that there are more than four dimensions to our reality.

This instrument could explain the Standard Model of particle physics that we’ve been using for decades. Or it might just tear the planet in half, who knows? That’s the best part, nobody knows. So we’ve got to grip this piece of technology by the shaft and ride it straight into the future. Or possibly the past.

Carte 3DS|carte r4 ds|carte r4i gold|carte m3|dstti

1. Time Travel.

Seriously. Because the LHC is experimenting with space and time on a scale never before used by humanity, this is when we start conceivably working towards time travel. Time travel starts with the first time machine, therefore some Russian mathematicians have calculated that now is when we could start seeing time travelers from the future. I'm holding my breath, John Connor.

2. Mini black holes.

There was a group of European scientists led by a Dr. Otto Rossler that submitted a formal complaint to the European Court of Human Rights, begging them not to turn on the LHC because as far as all calculations can predict, it could create a mini black hole that would increase in size exponentially and suck the world into oblivion within four years. The scientists at CERN did not deny the claims, because that is entirely possible. A four-year end-of-the-world party? Yeah, why not.

3. The Higgs-boson.

Science has never seen one of these, but theoretically they must exist, and if the experiments succeed in creating one of these, it would explain why any and all particles have mass. Sort of like answering the age-old "why is anything anything?" question.

4. The Multiverse.

If the experiments manage to produce another theoretical particle, called a gluino, this would explain that our universe is only one of many, according to string theory.

5. New dimensions to our Universe.

Another thing string theorists would get a rise out of is that the LHC experiments could ostensibly show that there are more than four dimensions to our reality.

This instrument could explain the Standard Model of particle physics that we've been using for decades. Or it might just tear the planet in half, who knows? That's the best part, nobody knows. So we've got to grip this piece of technology by the shaft and ride it straight into the future. Or possibly the past.

Carte 3DS|carte r4 ds|carte r4i gold|carte m3|dstti

Great insight intp the going-ons at CERN. My question however is if no Higgs is found in the next year, what will happen to the standard model as we know it? Taking note that just because it is not found doesn't mean it's not there.