Video Abstracts

JohnB

While this thread was inspired by recent events in climate science, this isn't about climate.

As part of his response to Drs Spencer & Braswell, Dr Dessler made and placed a video on youtube.

By covering the salient points in a 4 minute video I view this as a "Video Abstract" and frankly think it's a fantastic idea. Hype and overhype is bad in climate science, (and maybe in others as well?) and this would serve to reduce it. A clear 5 minute presentation covering the main points and claims made in a paper, any paper, would prevent any sort of misinformation as to what is or is not claimed.

It also prevents media from taking the researcher out of context as his actual stated claims are now public record.

For the full story you would obviously still need to read the full paper, bu a video abstract would be great for finding out quickly what the researcher thinks their work shows.

Like I said, I think it's a great idea and will help bring science to the "youtube" generation as well as giving interested parties a better grasp of the paper than a "mere" abstract can give. I can see it being helpful in many fields and not just climate.

What do others think of it? (The concept, not the actual video)