Kno3

boris_73

Erm... YEAH!

and then some!

I must STRONGLY disagree with you here on this one. Nitrogen trichloride is far more stable than nitrogen triiodide is. MUCH more stable. As you move down the column of halogens, the stability of the nitrogen trihalide dramatically drops off. Nitrogen trifluoride is perfectly stable and fairly safe to work with. Nitrogen trichloride will exist as an oily yellow liquid, but is quite unstable and likely to blow up if agitated. (Though it can be transported from one container to another, I'll let you do that). Nitrogen tribromide is VERY unstable and I don't even think it will exist long enough to be observed before blowing up. Nitrogen triiodide is the most unstable of them all, and if it weren't for the fact that it forms an adduct with ammonia when wet, I don't think it would ever form at all. Looking at the steric hinderance of the nitrogen trihalide molecules, it makes perfect sense as to why they become more and more unstable as you move down the column. The halogen atoms simply become too big to hang around near that one solitary nitrogen atom. That's why they go boom. Electronegativity wise, I also think they become more unstable as you move down the group. So in terms of stability, nitrogen trichloride is far more stable than nitrogen triiodide is. Though "stable" is all relative since even nitrogen trichloride can be considered "very" unstable. So this comparison is like comparing being shot in the head by a magnum or being shot in the head by a rifle. While one may be more powerful than the other, either way you're dead. :D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the vapors of it detonate spontaniously, I consider that unstable :)

I`ve seen (and made) many an electolytic vessel explode by electolysing chlorides with nitrates, often you can get away with just a sharp *CRACK* sound, but any confinement (even a cardboard cover to avoid fizzing splashes) will destroy the lot!

edit: this made be of interest to a few of you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A795611

well...... you could add water, heat to, say 75 celsius then pour off the water, then "boil" whatever dampness remains. that should remove all polar/ionic solutes. actually to be more accurate you could use sulfuric acid. as for nonpolar solutes, you may have to play around with various solvents.

Okay how would I go about using sulfuric acid to do this exactly?

well, sulfur is mostly insoluble in water... so you just add water to your 90% sulfur, heat to make sure you get everything, mix it up a bit, then pour off the water and you are done with your ionic/polar solutes.

another thing you could do is dissolve the sulfur in carbon disulfide, benzene or toluene

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if I could substitute Ammonium nitrate instead of Potassium nitrate to make BP, If so what would the ratio be, I have heard you don't even use Sulfur if you use Ammonium Nitrate. I also read somewhere that the you can use both AN and PN and Charcoal for BP, the ratio was something like 35AN 40PN and 14 Charcoal. If so can they be all mixed together with a ball mill with explosion? Thanks In Advance.

Terry

ammonium nitrate actually is quite poor for production of nitric acid from what i've heard anyway. not that it makes a difference considering im not going to be trying a nitric synth anytime soon. perhaps if and when i get a gas mask and i can do it in an oen field, but certainly not before then, lest i expose myself to highly toxic gases AGAIN

"lest i expose myself to highly toxic gases AGAIN"

Yeah, by the time you turn 18 you're all swollen by H2S, Br2, Cl2 and such. :))

"ammonium nitrate actually is quite poor for production of nitric acid from what i've heard anyway."

You got that right. It's easier to use nitric acid to make ammonium nitrate than to use ammonium nitrate to make nitric acid. :)

• 1 month later...