Alternate Energy Sources

Hari Seldon

Hey,

I have to write a research paper on alternate energy sources for school. I was thinking of going out of the box and go with nuclear energy as a alternate energy source. Ofcourse nuclear fission is not a realistic, I already know that much about a article I read on physorg.com, but I was wondering if nuclear fusion is a valid alternative. Since this is a research paper I would prefer that you don't give me the answer or that would defeat the purpose of the research part in the assignment :D. I am wondering though if some one could lead me to a website that focuses on the nuclear fusion and how it is used to produce energy. I am only a high school student and we don't get theses kind of things thought yet and it is not one of the subjects i have been reading books on. I have already looked for such a website but I have found little that I found useful to me. I am just asking if anyone knows good website that has this information, no need for you to actual search for one I don't want you to do the work for me.

The assignment is due in a couple of weeks and once I have a solid draft of my research paper is anyone willing to review it? It isn't against the rules or anything we can also hand it in to our teacher early that she reviews it but I thought I would also get more than one person to just review it and I thought the people on SFN might be a good choice to also review it.

I would like to thank everyone who has even looked at this post and wanted to help me for taking your time to do so. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Hari Seldon

Hey,

I have to write a research paper on alternate energy sources for school. I was thinking of going out of the box and go with nuclear energy as a alternate energy source. Ofcourse nuclear fission is not a realistic, I already know that much about a article I read on physorg.com, but I was wondering if nuclear fusion is a valid alternative. Since this is a research paper I would prefer that you don't give me the answer or that would defeat the purpose of the research part in the assignment :D. I am wondering though if some one could lead me to a website that focuses on the nuclear fusion and how it is used to produce energy. I am only a high school student and we don't get theses kind of things thought yet and it is not one of the subjects i have been reading books on. I have already looked for such a website but I have found little that I found useful to me. I am just asking if anyone knows good website that has this information, no need for you to actual search for one I don't want you to do the work for me.

The assignment is due in a couple of weeks and once I have a solid draft of my research paper is anyone willing to review it? It isn't against the rules or anything we can also hand it in to our teacher early that she reviews it but I thought I would also get more than one person to just review it and I thought the people on SFN might be a good choice to also review it.

I would like to thank everyone who has even looked at this post and wanted to help me for taking your time to do so. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Hari Seldon

I would suggest that you just google nuclear energy process, nuclear power, nuclear fission, nuclear fusion, etc, read the first several links and google anything you don't understand. There are several topics here on nuclear power, just search for nuclear. I would include the ratio of power produced to the number of recorded deaths for the top several producers of electricity. (there are links in topics here if you have trouble). Here's a start: http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/basic-ref/students.html

Edited by Brainteaserfan

If you can somehow get the voltage from static electricity and create electricity with it then (approx 1/2 volt per (25nm by 200nm)) then the work to create the static electricity would be less than the output. And there's your perpetual energy source.

Thank you very much for your help so far. I have not yet had the time to Google all the things. I assume I will do that tomorrow.

Riot aren't perpetual motion machines impossible beccause of the laws of thermodynamics?

I was thinking is it worth mentioning Vacuum energy as an alternative that might become a realistic alternative in the future? I just got the idea because some how the Casimir Effect came to my mind in a day dream.

Again I would like to thank Riot and Brainteaserfan(you have an alleviation for your name?) for their help so far.

Cheers,

Hari Seldon

Thank you very much for your help so far. I have not yet had the time to Google all the things. I assume I will do that tomorrow.

Riot aren't perpetual motion machines impossible beccause of the laws of thermodynamics?

I was thinking is it worth mentioning Vacuum energy as an alternative that might become a realistic alternative in the future? I just got the idea because some how the Casimir Effect came to my mind in a day dream.

Again I would like to thank Riot and Brainteaserfan(you have an alleviation for your name?) for their help so far.

Cheers,

Hari Seldon

Are you suppose to do your paper on more than one energy source then?

It is a research papaer and the topic is pretty open to us I wanted to do mine on a current issue which I choose the need for cleaner energy supply for the world. I wanted my main focus to be on nuclear fusion but I also want it to be all encompassing on different energy sources(like solar, geothermal, and so on) and to add some originality to mine over others who might also choose alternate energies i thought i would mention some more exotic ones like vacuum energy.

The build up of it is pretty open too I was thinking of at first shortly covering all the possibilities for the different alternate energies there are and then dive in, in detail on nuclear power and then dismissing the possibility of fission because of this and then move onto fusion how it is one of the more realistic ones that could provide the greatest gain in energy for the least pollution. And I was thinking of then in my conclusion mention exotic alternate energy that could be obtainable in the future to supply the energy we need.

But so far the above is only and idea since I am not 100% sure if fusion is the best alternative so the above plan might change a bit.

Sorry if my first post was a bit vague.

Sincerely,

Hari Seldon

If you can somehow get the voltage from static electricity and create electricity with it then (approx 1/2 volt per (25nm by 200nm)) then the work to create the static electricity would be less than the output. And there's your perpetual energy source.

I don't envision that producing much electricity, and I don't think that that is quite a perpetual motion machine. This is what I had heard as the definition:

perpetual motion

n.

The hypothetical continuous operation of an isolated mechanical device or other closed system without a sustaining energy source.

Okay I have done some research today and I think I will mainly focus on the magnetic containment technique with the Tokamak instead of the inertial containment.

Would I be allowed to start a thread in the Modern and Theoretical Physics section about nuclear fusion or would that break some rules?

I also read a while ago about some Italian physicists achieving cold fusion does anyone know if that turned out to be a hoax or not? I have been googleing it today to but with little success. All i heard was that they apparently sold one unit but there still was no definite proof that it worked. Does anyone know anymore?

Cheers,

Hari Seldon

The Bologna group who have claimed some success with a nickel based system have released precious little scientific backgroup or methodology - although they claim they will produce a working full size system, patents, and full scientific explanation in October 2011.

• 2 weeks later...