Stomata on the upper epidermis of a leaf

MolecularMan14

Guest Bob Kallen

There are approximetly 17 on each plant, however recent studies indicate that some plants such as the Venus Fly Trap contain only 16.

There are approximetly 17 on each plant, however recent studies indicate that some plants such as the Venus Fly Trap contain only 16.

HUH?

Do you have any sort of reference for that. i would find it interesting myself to read up on it. Thanks :D

As to the original question, I am unaware of any plants that have stomata on top of the leaf, but who knows -- life have a way of supprising us.

though i think for your class, a safe answer would be that they only occur on the underside -- someone correct me if i am wrong ;)

edit: The reason for them being on the underside is that the stomata are somewhat light activated and if they were on the top side, the plant would loose to much water :D

• 11 months later...

Plants are capable of having stomata located on the top of the leaf. Some plants that live in water, known as hydrophytes, have stomata on the top of the leaf. Since the leaves float on water it would be impossible for gas exchange to occur if the stomata were located on the bottom of the leaf.