Animated Avatars !

Hal.

• 3 weeks later...

On a sidenote - most animated avatars are annoying. The majority are really catching too much attention, where the actual attention should be focussed on your interesting posts!

Like with people who write in all CAPS, have screaming signatures, or choose another font than the default to catch more attention: the result on me is that I may skip the post altogether. I like the information on my screen to be on topic, and I want my eyes to look at information which is on topic - and your avatar is by default not on the topic of the thread.

The comment is slightly off topic, but I felt it necessary to say that an animated avatar can have the opposite effect from what you want.

On a sidenote - most animated avatars are annoying. The majority are really catching too much attention, where the actual attention should be focussed on your interesting posts!

Like with people who write in all CAPS, have screaming signatures, or choose another font than the default to catch more attention: the result on me is that I may skip the post altogether. I like the information on my screen to be on topic, and I want my eyes to look at information which is on topic - and your avatar is by default not on the topic of the thread.

The comment is slightly off topic, but I felt it necessary to say that an animated avatar can have the opposite effect from what you want.

+1

From a computer programming point of view avatars are part of the visual experience in threads . An avatar as I see it from a practical viewpoint is just an aid to locate posts when speedy scrolling is used . I thought there might be a reference sending me off to locate a weird and wonderful specialized computer language which might help me to understand how the avatar interacts with the screen . It's theory seems quite simple now , though . This is a thread to discuss the avatars , they are a valid computer science topic , politics of their fashionability is understandable .

From a computer programming point of view avatars are part of the visual experience in threads . An avatar as I see it from a practical viewpoint is just an aid to locate posts when speedy scrolling is used . I thought there might be a reference sending me off to locate a weird and wonderful specialized computer language which might help me to understand how the avatar interacts with the screen . It's theory seems quite simple now , though . This is a thread to discuss the avatars , they are a valid computer science topic , politics of their fashionability is understandable .

From what I can tell it's just a series of stills of a subject in motion that are then run in a loop.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-an-animated-Avatar/step2/Get-the-screenshots/

If your goal is to be able to locate a thread while speed-scrolling, then an animated avatar seems counter-productive to me. The picture changes, therefore it might be more difficult to recognize. For such a purpose I would suggest a clear logo made of some basic colors. This is incidentally also why none of the logos of larger companies are ever moving (also not on the internet, or on TV, where technology would allow it). They are always simple, and easy to recognize.

+1

You're allowed to click on the green + button to give your +1 to me. :)

If your goal is to be able to locate a thread while speed-scrolling, then an animated avatar seems counter-productive to me. The picture changes, therefore it might be more difficult to recognize. For such a purpose I would suggest a clear logo made of some basic colors. This is incidentally also why none of the logos of larger companies are ever moving (also not on the internet, or on TV, where technology would allow it). They are always simple, and easy to recognize.

You're allowed to click on the green + button to give your +1 to me. :)

Done. :)