Knife Laws

Justa_kid

So my dad gave me this bayonet right. and i was wondering if it was illegal to take it with me when i go fishing in the summer (i live in Georgia but fish in Michigan (family live there)).

all in all

-is it legal to carry in public

-can i take it on a plane if i have it in a suit case

-can i have it in a car if i drive to Michigan

please input answers if you know them

here are some pics of the blade i have

post-47145-0-69991100-1307058543_thumb.jpg

post-47145-0-59414100-1307058559_thumb.jpg

So my dad gave me this bayonet right. and i was wondering if it was illegal to take it with me when i go fishing in the summer (i live in Georgia but fish in Michigan (family live there)).

all in all

-is it legal to carry in public

-can i have it in a car if i drive to Michigan

Depends. The laws for caring knives in Michigan has to do with the purpose of which you are carrying the knife. For example, if you are caring it for fishing or hunting then you are ok, however, if you are caring it for "protection" or most other reasons then no its illegal. This actually goes for anything that can be classified as a "deadly weapon". For example, I know of people being pulled over and having a baseball bat in their car, and when questioned by the cop they say "they have it for protection", and then the cop gave them a ticket. However, if you keep it in the case and keep it in the back of your car in your fishing bag you should be fine. Just make sure to inform the police that you have the knife if you are pulled over by the police.

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.

Sec. 226.

Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

thank you btw i forgot to say that i am 15 so is it still legal to have it if i am with an adult?

ASFAIK there is no age restriction on knives. Also to be honest as long as you are being safe and respectful with your knife, and are respectful to the cops they will probably have no problem with you having them when you are fishing. Michigan is quite big into outdoor actives, and cops understand this.

I'm not familiar with US state laws... but would it make a difference if you carry the knife in the back of the car, or in your pocket (or somewhere else on yourself)?

Obviously you will take it with you once you get to the water... but by then it's really obvious that you're going fishing.

I'm not familiar with US state laws... but would it make a difference if you carry the knife in the back of the car, or in your pocket (or somewhere else on yourself)?

I believe so. Although there may not be a specific law for carrying knives, but I know with firearms that are not CCW they are supposed to be in a case in the back of the car, and I would assume similar logic comes into play with a larger knife. Regardless if there is a law or not I would recommend not carrying large knives on you when driving since my bet is that a cop would feel much more comfortable and be much less likely to ticket you if you knife was safely stored in the back in a place where you could not pull it on him.

I'm not sure a bayonet is that great as a fishing knife, but to each his own.

I'd find some way to attach it to your tackle box, that way it's obviously a fishing knife.

As to carrying it in public, you'd need to check local laws and the interpretation of them. It's about being sensible. "Intent" is the keyword here. Wearing a bayonet to the mall would be frowned on, but wearing it while carrying a rod and tackle box wouldn't raise an eyebrow.