varying fine structure constant

BJC

I assume most have read of the possibility that the fine structure constant could be space varying. I know that considerable more observations are needed before any level of confirmation is obtained but i have a couple of questions.

1) the variation is supposedly space but not time varying; a space variant constant field (like an elevation field). Wouldn't inflation flatten out this field? Considering expansion, How could a space variant field not be time varying?

2) Several blogs allude to the "if not this value then we would not be here to ask the question" problem by stating that a varying fine structure constant would make life possible in certain regions of the universe - but not others. This seems a bit of a stretch as the variance was not that much. What difference will a very, very small change in the fine structure make?

The fine structure constant gives the strength of the electromagnetic interaction. Changing it makes bond energies change, which affects how chemistry happens and how light interacts with matter.

The fine structure constant gives the strength of the electromagnetic interaction. Changing it makes bond energies change, which affects how chemistry happens and how light interacts with matter.

I understand that but the change they are measuring is quite small thus my question "What difference will a very, very small change in the fine structure make?"

I assume most have read of the possibility that the fine structure constant could be space varying. I know that considerable more observations are needed before any level of confirmation is obtained but i have a couple of questions.

1) the variation is supposedly space but not time varying; a space variant constant field (like an elevation field). Wouldn't inflation flatten out this field? Considering expansion, How could a space variant field not be time varying?

2) Several blogs allude to the "if not this value then we would not be here to ask the question" problem by stating that a varying fine structure constant would make life possible in certain regions of the universe - but not others. This seems a bit of a stretch as the variance was not that much. What difference will a very, very small change in the fine structure make?

Is this the possibility that you're talking about:

In September 2010 researchers from Australia said they had identified a dipole-like structure in the fine structure constant across the observable universe, using data on quasars obtained by the Very Large Telescope, combined with the previous data obtained by Webb at the Keck telescopes. The fine structure constant appears to have been larger by one part in 100,000 in the direction of the southern hemisphere constellation Ara, 10 billion years ago. Similarly, the constant appeared to have been smaller by a similar fraction in the northern direction, billions of years ago.

(ref. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-structure_constant#Is_the_fine_structure_constant_actually_constant.3F )

If so, I have no idea what effect a fine structure constant larger by one part in 100,000 would have. If I understand the article correctly, this represents an increase in the fine structure constant of 0.137% (0.0073073525/0.0072973525).

The anthropic principle is a controversial argument of why the fine-structure constant has the value it does: stable matter, and therefore life and intelligent beings, could not exist if its value were much different. For instance, were α to change by 4%, stellar fusion would not produce carbon, so that carbon-based life would be impossible. If α were > 0.1, stellar fusion would be impossible and no place in the universe would be warm enough for life.

(ref. http://en.wikipedia....pic_explanation )

The increase that the Australians are asserting doesn't seem to come close to creating the "no life" scenario. As you said, though, "...considerable more observations are needed before any level of confirmation is obtained..."

Perhaps someone else in the forum has some idea of what effects a small change like they describe might have.

Chris

I understand that but the change they are measuring is quite small thus my question "What difference will a very, very small change in the fine structure make?"

That depends on how small you make that change. According to a recent article on Physorg, it apparently doesn't take much to make the formation of stars and galaxies impossible (a 4% difference would render life as we know it impossible!):

http://www.physorg.com/news202921592.html

On the other hand, there is a possibility that it does exhibit small variations.