NAS Servers

DJBruce

So I am thinking of buying a NAS server to back up my computers, and serve as an easy way to share files. I would be using this for home use, with probably 5-6 computers running both Mac OS and Windows. I have been looking at both products made Buffalo Technology and Synology, but it seems like everything has mixed reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions on good NAS servers, or comments on bad ones to avoid?

I have used quite a couple of them. Had no problems with several types of the Readynas series, although the fans on the NV+ were a bit loud. If you only need Raid1 the Duo is much more tolerable in that regard.

For secondary backups I am also using a mediasmart server. Especially in terms of quick non-redundant backups the WHS fit the bill better. Some users have reported problems, specifically with the corruption of the backup database, but I have regular dumps of them (on a different storage) and have no problems with it yet.

The reasoning for the final selection of Netgear and HP was that I could get more redundancy as compared to the NAS from synology (which were much more expensive when I was about to buy one).

Edited by CharonY

Just throwing in my comment also make sure what ever system you use has a quality hard drive in it or else it is useless with today's trend of cheap electronics that have little to no build quality you should go for a brand I like Western Digital and LaCie(they have a variety of different drives on the inside but always good quality)

Hari

I think LaCie uses Hitachi (now bought by WD) and Seagate mostly. But regarding failure rates, I would check the individual series rather than the brands, especially since now the market is basically reduced to Toshiba (for 2.5 that is), WD and Seagate. Also note that not all hard drives are compatible with all NAS, Usually they have documentation regarding tested drives.