music

alejandrito20

Sometimes I listen to heavy metal while calculating, but usually I prefer silence. For example DIO, Judas Priest, ManOwar, Ozzy Osborne, Motorhead, Iron Maiden...

I can get myself in the mood to do serious intellectual work by listening to music, but if I try to listen to music while working, I find I simply tune it out so there is no point in playing it. Since all thinking is ultimately structuring, it helps to prepare yourself for intellectual work by listening to music with a highly evident and complex structure, like Bach or Monteverdi. Liszt or Mendelssohn, in contrast, just fire up the emotions with their more amorphous harmonies.

Really depends on what kind of work I'm doing and what mood I'm in;

Somewhat calm and flowing type thought - Jeff Beck, Jaco Pastorius, Jethro Tull, etc.

More intense - Protest the Hero, Iron Maiden, old Avenged Sevenfold (Waking the Fallen & Sounding the Seventh Trumpet), Refused, Trivium, etc.

Just something different - Mindless Self Indulgence, Coheed and Cambria, Cynic, etc.