Rebang

36grit

I think it's safe to say that everybody is wondering that, because we don't actually know why the big bang happened, or if there was anything that triggered it.

We can calculate back how the universe was a fraction of a second after the big bang, but not what it was like exactly at the big bang.

But, given the fact that so far only one big bang happend in the entire universe, in the last several billion years... chances (if possible at all) that one happens next to your window during your lifetime is absolutely negligible.

Maybe a Big Bang can happen anywhere at any time. There hasn't been another since 13.7 Billion years ago, so as Captain said the chances are negligible during our lifetime. I'd instead worry about Yellowstone erupting.

I think that the mass/distance ratio would kind of have to cancel out relativity at a some macro scale level.

This might allow distance to expand faster than light which is what happened during the inflationary period.

Expansion faster than light might cause space/time to loose its "fluid" like density and create a field of virtual space/time.

Maybe a Big Bang can happen anywhere at any time. There hasn't been another since 13.7 Billion years ago, so as Captain said the chances are negligible during our lifetime. I'd instead worry about Yellowstone erupting.

It's all risk assessment. Unless you do the risk assessment, there is no reason why it would make more sense to worry about Yellowstone than about a 'rebang'.

Quoting: Quantitative risk assessment requires calculations of two components of risk: R, the magnitude of the potential loss L, and the probability p, that the loss will occur.

Risk R1 = (the entire universe destroyed by another big bang next to your window) * (an absolutely negligible chance it ever happens)

Risk R2 = (Yellowstone erupts, North-America vanishes) * (happens only once every 600,000 years)

Risk R3 = (You're in a car accident, heavily injured) * (happens perhaps once in a lifetime)

Risk R4 = (A bird poos on your head, you need a shower) * (happens quite often)

You can do such an assessment for everything... and use that to determine what you should be most worried about.

What I mean to say: in this (nearly) infinite universe, we may argue that (nearly) everything is possible... but there's no reason to worry about everything. You must think about the chance that it happens, and how it would affect you and the ones close/dear to you.

It's not about the worry. It's more about acceleration and direction. It's about creating from nothing at all and understanding the things that are. It's about wonder, modeling and escape, but mostly it's about being.

It is most certainly worth pondering, distance faster than light and it's physical ramifications and big bangs and such.

To try and make sence of something that seems more like nonsense in the everyday world.