From Within the Event Horizon

ydoaPs

Is it possible to extract data from within an event horizon using a wormhole? We could send a probe with the mouth of a wormhole into a black hole(accelerating the entire way if possible to minimize tidal forces) and use the wormhole to send back a signal.

I can already see a few problems:

1. Is there enough usable energy available to humans to create a stable macroscopic wormhole?
  2. Gravity might pass through the wormhole.
  3. Is it even geometrically possible to have the mouth of an Einstein-Rosen bridge on the singularity side of an event horizon?
  4. We don't know how to make a wormhole.
  5. Black holes are REALLY far away.
  6. Radiation passing through wormhole.
  7. Spaghettification of probe.

1. Black holes are REALLY far away.

I don't know really anything about the concept of wormholes except from scifi but wouldn't a wormhole connecting distant places make those places literally close instead of far away?

1. Spaghettification of probe.

Spaghettification only happens due to black holes. Wormholes cause macaronification because macaroni looks like a worm with a hole in ittongue.gif

Seriously, though, I have read Hawking use spaghetti to describe the effects of black hole gravity on objects entering them so that must be the correct term.

On a NASA website, I read that in order to generate a wormhole, you would have to create a sphere of energy around the sun the size of the orbit of Jupiter, for starters. How you would accomplish this or achieve it with a black hole is beyond me.

On a NASA website, I read that in order to generate a wormhole, you would have to create a sphere of energy around the sun the size of the orbit of Jupiter, for starters. How you would accomplish this or achieve it with a black hole is beyond me.

What does "sphere of energy" refer to exactly?

What does "sphere of energy" refer to exactly?

It's a little more complicated than that. Google NASA Ideas Based on What We Would Like to Achieve. Should get you there. Can't copy link with phone.

Edited by Realitycheck

Is it possible to extract data from within an event horizon using a wormhole? We could send a probe with the mouth of a wormhole into a black hole(accelerating the entire way if possible to minimize tidal forces) and use the wormhole to send back a signal.

I can already see a few problems:

1. Is there enough usable energy available to humans to create a stable macroscopic wormhole?
  2. Gravity might pass through the wormhole.
  3. Is it even geometrically possible to have the mouth of an Einstein-Rosen bridge on the singularity side of an event horizon?
  4. We don't know how to make a wormhole.
  5. Black holes are REALLY far away.
  6. Radiation passing through wormhole.
  7. Spaghettification of probe.

I don't think accelerating will ease tidal forces, since gravity would still be stronger at the closer part of the probe than the farther side, but if you can find a very large supermassive black hole then tidal forces out at the event horizon could be smaller than what it is on the surface of Earth. So there wouldn't be any problems with tidal forces and spaghettification close to the inside of the event horizon if the black hole is massive enough.

I would exclude problem 1 and 4, if we can't make a wormhole then there is no point in asking if they can be opened from the inside of a black hole.

I would think that number 3 is your biggest problem, if it even is possible to create a wormhole then as I understand relativity, the wormhole is made by curving the fabric of space and in the vicinity of a Black Hole there will already be lots of curving interfering with your probes attempt.

If we manage to shield gravity enough to open a wormhole then we don't have to worry about problem 2 either.

I don't think distances to black holes counts as a valid problem, sure it would be a problem to get there but it is theoretically possible and it doesn't affect the possibility to open a wormhole there or not.

Same with the radiation, we don't know what cind of radiation there will be inside an event horizon, but if the black hole don't have a accretion disc then there won't be much radiation on the outside to fall in.

A secondary problem would be what kind of information we would like to extract from the probe through the wormhole, the probe and the mouth of the wormhole would be located in heavily distorted spacetime and from the view of the probe the event horizon would seem to be located further down towards the core, so even if we would accomplish the implausible task to open a fully functioning wormhole on the inside of an event horizon all we would see is the event horizon located further down.

Edited by Spyman

It appears that this question was already asked over at PhysicsForums.com. Here's the posted answer that seems most credible to me, because it cites references:

BEGIN POST

"What happens if an advanced civilization is able to construct a wormhole with one end on its own planet and the other end of the wormhole below the event horizon of a black hole?Will they be able to see what is happening below the event horizon of the black hole?"

Actually, the answer to the latter question appears to be "yes". I found two sources that confirm this. Both are written by physicists.

1) "Wormhole as a device for studying a black hole's interior", by V. Frolov and I. Novikov, Physical Review D volume 48, page 1607 (1993)

Here's the abstract:

"It is shown that by using a traversable wormhole one can get information from a black hole's interior. The change of a black hole's geometry in the presence of a wormhole falling into it is analyzed. The causal structure and the properties of the event horizon of a Schwarzschild spacetime with a wormhole are considered. Information and energy extraction from the interior of a black hole by using a wormhole is discussed."

2) The Physics of Stargates: Parallel Universes, Time Travel and the Enigma of Wormhole Physics, by Enrico Rodrigo, Eridanus Press (New York) 2010

On page 33, in a question/answer section:

"Could I use a wormhole to escape from the inside of a black hole?

Yes. Classically, there appears be to nothing to prevent the existence of a wormhole that connects the inside of a black hole with the region exterior to its event horizon. However, to an observer within the horizon, the outward direction points to the past, i.e. backward in time. So escaping a black hole via a wormhole is only possible, if time travel by wormhole is possible."

END POST

I recently purchased the second reference and can confirm that it's accurately quoted.

So, given that it's possible to have a mouth of an Einstein-Rosen bridge on the singularity side of an event horizon, it would work?

This technology might present us with other uses as well. The gravity coming out of our mouth of the bridge should actually be a directional gravitational field! That means we could have several wormholes facing the same way and adjust them to sort of focus the directional gravitation. Since there's black hole strength pulling everything toward it in one direction but not the other, could that be used for transportation? It would definitely solve the problem of micrometeors in the direction of travel.