can i speed up my internet?

random

My room mate downloads alot of movies at the same time and chokes off all the band width. I am wondering if there is anything i can do? somtimes web pages won't even load I would appreciate any help on this please.

usually anything above around 2mb internet would mean your internet speed is determined by the upload speed of the server not your download speed, unfortunately if you have restricted internet and you room mate is stealing most of it, unless you configure his torrent program to x amount of seeds or such, your stuck.

theres lots of variables involved here for example if your on direct 2mb internet thats different from a possible 2mb internet in which most your grid will share that 2mb which means at peak times your gona suffer anyway

You can also just ask your roommate to limit his own up/download speeds (some/most torrent programs are capable of setting a certain limit for that).

Why would you search for a solution if it's actually your roommate's problem to solve it, because he caused it in the first place?

Thanks for the tips everyone I will check the wireless router settings, As per why would I search for a solution? Well it's not like my roommate is going to change , already tried talking about it and nope still downloads 20 or so 700 mb or more files at 1 time.

Now it is time for covert action, who cares if the files take longer to download I WANT MY INTERNET SPEED BACK!

• 2 weeks later...

You can speed up your computer by using good antivirus program. I know that if there is something download on your computer then there is a chance to enter the viruses in the computer. So try to search a good antivirus software and use it. After using it your pc will be the faster as before.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a technique .. which is forbidden, because it's technically a cheat ...

The method is basically that division of bandwidth at any level in the networks is based on the ends,

the system at time 0 use 100% of inherited bandwidth, then do equalization ...

Well, you can ask your friend to limit his download/upload speeds to have the sum of 25% of your bandwidth ...

There seems to be an easy solution as it seems to me.

1)

He will need about 2 hours to watch a 1 hour video. That is if he watches high quality videos for 6 hours a day, he will need about 12 of download time. If you have 2mb/s connection.

All of it and more can be downloaded at sleep time + school/university time.

So, worst case scenario, the problem is solved.

2)

when he wants to do something on demand (download HD clips,) he can always leave you like 30-60KB/s. It shouldn't be a big deal for him, but it can ensure you comfortable web browsing. (web browsing is not like downloading, it takes much less bandwidth.)

That's how I solve the problem with myself! At night, I download all I want and more. And when I want to browse at night, I leave like 200KB/s for download, and 40KB/s for browsing.

What browsing speed do you have by the way?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your tips

You can also just ask your roommate to limit his own up/download speeds (some/most torrent programs are capable of setting a certain limit for that).

Why would you search for a solution if it's actually your roommate's problem to solve it, because he caused it in the first place?