Voting

ydoaPs

My mother is a paramedic. We live in one of the fastest expanding areas of mexican and spanish populations in america. She's dealt with similiar situations on countless occasions. And sure' date=' while communicating verbally can help in such matters, to a well trained medic, it is not needed.

I mean, suppose your story was exactly the same, but with an american who was knocked unconcious. How would you care for him? I guess without a spirit medium to dive into the dream realm, you couldn't, and he would die.[/quote']

no, i could care for them. the difference is that they were over 18 and i couldn't understand them. therefore i couldn't do anything.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, well, people find ways around communication barriers all the time. Oft times in an accident all one has to do is point at the problem.

Pain and discomfort is a univeral language. I've said before I agree people should take steps to learn english, but it should not restrict them from voting. Also you haven't addressed the fact that people who speak english as their native tounge will be a minority in the future. Reverse the tables, if most people spoke spanish in america, and you do not, should you have the right to vote?

The fact that a sign appears in Spanish does not imply that people reading it should be incapable of understanding any other language.

if they could understand english, then why would the poster be printed in spanish?

While I would prefer for the voting population in the US to WANT to learn the national language, any citizen should be able to vote.

There have been many times in our early history where a language was not shared, what is the difference between our early German, Dutch, French and Gaelic speaking founders? English is the national language, most Americans speak it, but it is nothing new for the great melting pot....

:cool:

no, i could care for them. the difference is that they were over 18 and i couldn't understand them. therefore i couldn't do anything.

What is it exactly your trying to say? That because they are over 18, you couldn't be expected to communicate none verbally? What does that mean, actually?

that is because canada has two national languages. us only has one.

The US has far more than 1 national language. As you say you are a native American, you should know that.

http://www.native-languages.org/languages.htm#alpha

English is not the American national language, it's the English national language. If your going to be nationalistic, do about something that actually belongs to your country.

What is it exactly your trying to say? That because they are over 18' date=' you couldn't be expected to communicate none verbally? What does that mean, actually?

[/quote']

unless the victim in unconcious or under 18 years of age, you must ask permission to help the said victim.

The US has far more than 1 national language. As you say you are a native American, you should know that.

http://www.native-languages.org/languages.htm#alpha

English is not the American national language, it's the English national language. If your going to be nationalistic, do about something that actually belongs to your country.

english is the national language of the united states. how does the fact that i am native american change that?

unless the victim in unconcious or under 18 years of age, you must ask permission to help the said victim.

Ah, of course. I forgot the litigious nature of modern America, I guess I don't really take it seriously enough to remember.

english is the national language of the united states. how does the fact that i am native american change that?

You don't quite understand. National is of a nation. English is of England' date=' and therfore is Englands [i']national[/i] language. English is the primary language in America but not the national. The national languages of America are Indian, as I would have expected someone to have pointed out to you, it being an important part of your history.

I suppose what I'm saying is if your going to claim people should speak English, the least you could do is use it correctly yourself.