Continental Drift

Sidd

Hi guys!!!

ive been wondering on this so im gonna ask here as well!

what if the indian sub-continent did not drift from the position it had during Gondwanaland?

what would it be like today?

what would be its geology?

i mean the Himalayas wouldn't have been uplifted etc!!

thanks!

That would rather depend upon what happened to Gondwanaland. Would India have retained its same latitude? Certainly there would be know Indo-Gangetic plain and probably no Deccan platea, which together pretty much define Indian geography.

• 3 weeks later...
what if the indian sub-continent did not drift from the position it had during Gondwanaland?

Under 2. Empirical Modelling of Geological Mapping (2.6.5) Geologist James Maxlow discusses the Tectonstratigrapic Development f India (44) of his Thesis.

"...In contrast to conventional plate tectonic reconstructions, India on an expanding Earth remains attached to the Asian continent throughout Earth history. Extensive periods of polyphase extension-orogenesis-extension and epi-continental basin development within Eurasia to the north, geographically isolated continental India from the elevated Asian continent during much of Earth history... " ~James Maxlow

Figured I would offer you an alternative perspective.

Figured I would offer you an alternative perspective.

!

Moderator Note

Light Storm, I will remind you of rule 2.10: Keep alternative science and your own personal conjecture to the appropriate forum (Speculations). Threads in the ordinary science forums should be answered with ordinary science, not your own personal hypothesis. Posting pet "theories" in mainstream science forums is considered thread hijacking.

Do not derail the thread further by responding to this warning.

• 2 weeks later...

... what if the indian sub-continent did not drift from the position it had during Gondwanaland?

... i mean the Himalayas wouldn't have been uplifted etc!!

Well within the mainstream Plate Tectonics theory the next mechanism of mountain ridges formation can work: "When an oceanic plate is getting subducted, what would happen to a divergent boundary on the subduction? The divergent boundary is a very thin, not yet fully solidified, highly irregular, and, therefore, weak juncture between plates. The bending stress of subduction would just cut loose the subducting chunk off the plate. The loose chunk would pop-up along the viscous border of the continent to form a mountain ridge. Other divergent boundaries and, probably, other irregularities in the plate would add more ridges to the continent." http://divergent-bou...keeping-it.html

So, in my opinion, Himalaya formation may not necessarily depend on India's pressing the crust up.

Regards,

Sergey S.

http://divergent-bou...s.blogspot.com/