Precession of the equinoxes 2012

Jasper

Firstly I don't subscribe to the thinking that we will be experiencing Armageddon conditions in 2012 but in saying that. I do think it would be remiss to not allow for some serious tectonic activity because when the precession of the equinoxes occurs and the change and shift in motion and direction of the wobble of the earth that twisting motion must be impacting the mantle. It would have to be having an impact on that.

Where will be most affected is the curious bit in my view.

Edited by Jasper

Firstly I don't subscribe to the thinking that we will be experiencing Armageddon conditions in 2012 but in saying that. I do think it would be remiss to not allow for some serious tectonic activity because when the precession of the equinoxes occurs and the change and shift in motion and direction of the wobble of the earth that twisting motion must be impacting the mantle. It would have to be having an impact on that.

Where will be most affected is the curious bit in my view.

What do you mean by the precession of equinoxes, and what twisting motion are you referring to?

It occurs approximately every 26, 000 years .

It takes that long for the earth while spinning on its axis to wobble from one tilted side to the other tilted side.

I believe at the moment it changes and begins the change in motion and direction ie to begin to return back to the other side it will experience a bulge due the torque caused by the spinning motion (I think that's right).

There are a few changes during that transition between the two directions. It would affect the centre of the sphere because of the torque (as was explained to me ages ago and mentioned just above). I am thinking along a bit further to tectonics plates and through that transition of motion.

When I said centre I meant a band around the equator.

Edited by Jasper

Jasper the "Precession of the Equinoxes" is always occurring, it just takes 26,000 years for the full cycle. It's not something that happens suddenly.

Polaris is currently the "Pole Star" but it will gradually move away from that position moving in a small circle. In 26,000 years it will be the "Pole Star" again.

There are two words here that are quite similar and very different. There is "Precession" which refers to the movement of the Earth due to it's spin in the same fashion that a gyroscope "precesses" but there is also "Procession" as in a parade.

In some ways both can be used when talking about the Equinoxes. The precession of the Equinoxes refers to which star constellation the Sun rises in at the Spring Equinox. For example we are now at the beginning of the "Age of Aquarius" due to the Sun rising in Aquarius, the one prior to this was the "Age of Pices". Each Age lasts for a little bit over 2,000 years.

The movement of the Sun was noted by the early Astronomer/Astrologists when they realised that over time the place that the Sun rose on the Equinox actually moved by roughly a degree every 72 years. A Temple with very precise alignment made 500 years before was hopelessly out of whack. They realised that the Sun would progressively rise over a period of time in each of the signs of the Zodiac, thereby signifying the different "Ages". Over a period of 26,000 years the Sun will rise in each of the signs of the zodiac, one after another. 500 years ago it rose in Pisces, now it rises in Aquarius and in 3,000 years it will be rising in Capricorn.

An interesting historical situation is that during the Age of Pisces, the last 2,000 years, the symbol for the dominant mode of thought was the fish. Prior to Pisces was the Age of Aries when the Greeks were dominant and they had a big thing in their mythology for rams. The golden fleece and the like. The age prior to that was of course the Age of Taurus the bull and at that time the "Apis Bulls" were worshiped in ancient Egypt.

One of the arguments for the redating of the Sphinx is that if the geological evidence is correct it would place the carving of the statue at around 9,000BC which is dead centre of the "Age of Leo". It would make sense to have a statue of a lion facing the Sun rising in Leo, as it did at that time. Note that the statue itself faces due East and therefore looks directly into the rising Sun on the Spring Equinox.

However the bottom line is that the Precession of the Equinoxes has less effect on the planets mantle than the daily revolution does. The Sun rises in a different sign of the zodiac and the lines of the tropics wander up and down a bit, but that's all.

Edited by JohnB

However the bottom line is that the Precession of the Equinoxes has less effect on the planets mantle than the daily revolution does. The Sun rises in a different sign of the zodiac and the lines of the tropics wander up and down a bit, but that's all.

thanks for that ..I misunderstood the event but you have cleared that up for me.

:)

No problem.

You can see a similar effect with the two tropics. The Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn were named for the zodiac signs that the Sun was in at the Summer Solstice when they were named. Due to movement this is no longer true. At the Northern Solstice the Sun is now in Taurus and at the Southern Solstice it is in Scorpio.

One of the main reasons for the "end of days" misunderstandings is that people tend to think the planet is constant when it isn't. They think that how it was recently is how it's always been and will always be in the future. Everything changes and moves. Some of the movements are slow, but others are quite quick. Again using the Tropics as an example, people think of them as a line on a map dividing the world like the Equator does. The truth is that they move. A lot. A Tropic is the most Northerly or Southerly point where the Sun is directly overhead at midday on the Summer Solstice. As the Earth wobbles on it's axis, this line moves by a few metres each year.

This is a great photo from Mexico where they mark the movement each year beside the highway. (I didn't embed it as it's a huge pic.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b4/Tr%C3%B3pico_de_C%C3%A1ncer_en_M%C3%A9xico_-_Carretera_83_%28V%C3%ADa_Corta%29_Zaragoza-Victoria%2C_Km_27%2B800.jpg

North of me near Rockhampton are two markers for the Tropic of Capricorn. The old one from the 70s and the new one put in a few years ago. The new one is about 500 metres North of the old one. Cool, huh? :D

North of me near Rockhampton are two markers for the Tropic of Capricorn. The old one from the 70s and the new one put in a few years ago. The new one is about 500 metres North of the old one. Cool, huh? :D

yep - definitely cool.

I won't need any popcorn in 2012 while the 26 000 year event comes around but hopefully I can see the events in the night sky during the latter part of next year.

Luckily a friend didn't quiz me on this as they my have thought that I wasn't listening the first time I had heard of this.

:?