Blindness Induced Hallucinations

zapatos

My mother has been going blind over the past two years due to problems associated with age and diabetes. She is completely blind in one eye, and within the past couple of weeks her vision sometimes drops to almost zero in the other eye.

She now has regular hallucinations, usually of people, little girls in particular, as well as flowers and other things she is familiar with. Doesn't matter if her eyes are open or closed.

The hallucinations of the little girls are particularly vivid. She can tell me what they are doing, what they are wearing, and they often come up and pat her on her hand. She cannot feel the hand patting or hear them; only the visual hallucination.

She is well aware that they are hallucinations although sometimes it takes her a while to figure it out if the person seems to fit in with her environment, such as seeing someone walking down the same hall she is in. The other day when we were talking she suddenly said "This is really wild! I wish you could see this." She was watching two girls playing.

Has anyone had any similar experience or been around someone who has been through this? Can we expect this to fade over time? Any likelihood she might have disturbing hallucinations associated with blindness? We knew this could occur but didn't realize the extent, and I would like to hear anything anyone has to say.

Thanks.

Very likely that you're talking about Bonnet Syndrome. It's quite common for people in your mom's position.

It can be terribly unfortunate when people don't realize that this isn't psychosis. Let the great Oliver Sacks explain. If your mom doesn't know about this (especially if she is, as many people are, confused and fearful because of it) have her listen to the Sacks talk; she'll be incredibly happy to hear it.