Time

Riot

In the way I see it (I'm wrong of course), Time is just a measurement. Take a step back at the bigger picture other than your watch.

There isn't one. Time is "measured" through the decay of cesium, an isotope.

So how do you jump from measuring the decay of cesium to converting it into atomic seconds?

References point me to: "Atomic time is measured through electrical oscillator regulated by the natural vibration frequencies of an atomic system".

What I find from this is that Atomic time is measured through a generation of electric current which is regulated by the SOMTHING of an atomic system."

A few flaws from my references, an atomic system is not defined. Vibration frequencies are not defined.

Of this, I am lost. Could I have some help from the experts?

In the way I see it (I'm wrong of course), Time is just a measurement. Take a step back at the bigger picture other than your watch.

There isn't one. Time is "measured" through the decay of cesium, an isotope.

So how do you jump from measuring the decay of cesium to converting it into atomic seconds?

It's not a decay — Cs-133 is a stable isotope. You measure the hyperfine transition of the ground state.

References point me to: "Atomic time is measured through electrical oscillator regulated by the natural vibration frequencies of an atomic system".

What I find from this is that Atomic time is measured through a generation of electric current which is regulated by the SOMTHING of an atomic system."

A few flaws from my references, an atomic system is not defined. Vibration frequencies are not defined.

Of this, I am lost. Could I have some help from the experts?

The frequency corresponding to the energy difference between the two states is defined to be exactly 9192631770 Hz. (multiply by Planck's constant to get the energy). You basically count the oscillations and keep track of that number, which tells you the time.

It's not a decay — Cs-133 is a stable isotope. You measure the hyperfine transition of the ground state.

The frequency corresponding to the energy difference between the two states is defined to be exactly 9192631770 Hz. (multiply by Planck's constant to get the energy). You basically count the oscillations and keep track of that number, which tells you the time.

Much thanks!