chaos theory, the theory of everything?

iglak

another of my recent LiveJournal entries, which i will just quote because it's easier and more structured than if i wrote it out again.

theory of everything:

chaos theory.

for those of you unfamiliar with it, this is the example given:

a computer program has been made to predict the earth's entire weather system.

every single possible variable has been inputed into the computer, ranging beyond the actions of bacteria and airplanes, and including the effects of the weather on those actions.

all variables that is, except one: the flapping wings of a single butterfly in North America. (why NA? because i said so)

within the first few months, the computer program would perfectly predict all weather.

within a year, the computer program will miss everything by a little bit: tornadoes positioned a bit incorrectly, wind speed a bit off; missing the creation of a hurricane by a half of a day; the temperature is supposed to be a bit lower; and that little dust devil in Arizona actually happened a mile away, and a two days later.

after two years, almost every other variable has been effected by the weather differences from that butterfly, and the weather machine will start to be very wrong.

after ten years, nothing but the tides will be predicted correctly, but any waves will be completely wrong. the program would be useless.

now, that's only one variable, and it was only the butterfly's wings, not it's body's movement through air. when you have the complexity of every single variable possible effecting every other variable possible, which effects every other variable possible, including the first variables, that's true chaos theory.

now we extend this beyond weather, and look into society. it is my belief that DNA only effects the basic human: their features, and maybe their basic responses to emotions. beyond that, it is my belief that society creates the rest. while kids learn information consciously, they are learning emotions and reactions to emotions subconsciously. these emoitons and reactions are learned by sensing everything that is happening around them. the brain takes in millions of sensory data every moment, and subconsciously analyzes that with all past data that has been stored; deciding what actions to take by figuring out what has been the best in the past; and figuring out what's best by analyzing even more. psychic happenings are often a result of analyzing the moment, comparing it to all previous moments, and predicting the future based on that information so that the brain will be prepared for the future, just in case. in these ways, emotions and reactions evolve with a society, because everyone is a direct result of society, and they pass that onto their kids, people around them, and kids around them, both directly and indirectly. the media has a huge effect on society, because it is frequent and many people sense it, and it has evolved with society as well.

and now time travel... hehe

what happens if you go 10 minutes into the past? well that means you are and were in the current time of 10 minutes ago. for the next 10 minutes there will be two yous. there never was only one you, at that point in the past, you had traveled from the future to the past.

if you go back 10 years to change something, then you were there 10 years ago, and whatever attempts you made to change it obviously didn't work because it wasn't changed 10 years ago.

let's say you want to do an experiment: you will travel 10 minutes into the past so that you can see yourself. well, lets say 10 minutes ago you didn't see yourself. why would you travel back in time 10 minutes now? the experiment didn't work. or for all you know, you were somehow killed in the time travel device. if you decide to go back, it could be fatal, so you decide not to go back. but that means you never went back, so you couldn't have seen yourself, you weren't there. lets say you DO see yourself. well obviously, in the future you travel back in time to see yourself, otherwise you wouldn't be seeing yourself. if in the future you don't travel back into time to see yourself, then you never saw yourself, you couldn't have seen yourself, because you were never there. lets now say that you decide on this: you will travel back in time 10 minutes if you don't see yourself, and you will not travel back into time if you do. well the second option can't happen, because it will be a paradox. the first option is the only remaining choice, but it didn't work, because you never saw yourself. wither you somehow remained hidden, or you died, or you felt unmotivated because you didn't see yourself, or the time travel device didn't work.

now for the toughest one, the grandfather paradox. you go back in time and kill your grandfather. ok, why you want to do that is beyond me, but lets say you are determined, in the name of science. well, back when your grandfather was alive, you were there trying to kill him, so obviously it didn't work because he lived. why it didn't work i don't know. maybe you went back in time again from the further future to stop yourself. maybe you thought you killed your grandfather, but he miraculously lived. maybe he wasn't really your grandfather. maybe killing him caused your grandmother to go an a wild sex craze, which was so sinned that no one ever spoke of it, and got pregnant soon after from someone else. if you did kill your grandfather though, you would have known in the future simply by knowing how he died in the past. he might have died because you killed him. he might have died naturally much later, meaning any attempts you made didn't work, or maybe that simply got rid of your motivation to even try. either way, your attempts obviously didn't work because you are alive.

now let's go to fate and free will...

well you can certainly make your own choices, so free will is obvious, but what made you chose the way you chose is not so obvious. you chose the way you chose because your brain analyzed the situation and made a decision either in your best interest, someone else's best interest, or because you wanted to. the reason you wanted to is because of what society has turned you into. the reason you thought it was the best choice is because it has worked before, maybe for you, maybe for someone else, or maybe your brain predicted the future by analyzing everyone involved's emotions and likely reactions to what you would chose. you made a choice, but your choice is just as predictable as the weather. everything that will happen always would have happened, everything that has happened has already happened. lets say you purposefully make a choice knowing this, and avoiding a predicted future by making that choice. well obviously the predicted future was wrong, because you didn't do what it indicated, or maybe you just misunderstood. or perhaps, someone that predicted the future knew you would not do that future if you knew about it, so told you something else so that you would follow the real predicted future.

this is also indirectly related to my fear thread that i just started here

so any thoughts or criticism on chaos theory?

i admit that i do not understand quantum theory currently, nor relativity, and that those theories could potentially change my theory/conjecture, but i am doubtful of that.