What's the total human population of Europe?

Mr Rayon

I don't trust google.

You don't trust Google or you don't trust the Google search results?

You don't trust Google but you trust the people on this site? I imagine a lot of answers given on this site come from a Google search.

Edited by zapatos

Google is as reliable as the question you ask it and the sites available on the internet. Not trusting google is basically saying you don't trust the internet. Asking people on the internet the answer to a question suggests that you do trust the internet, so you should try googling next time.

I don't trust google.

But you do trust a bunch of anonymous people who get their information from google? :) LOL

Anyway, there are also other search engines... and all the information that the "experts" on this forum get is also available somewhere on the internet.

But what I wonder the most:

Why on earth would you need to have the exact number of the European population, and why the hell do you think that Google/Wikipedia would lie about something like that? I mean, sure, there is a lot of crap on the internet... but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

But what I wonder the most:

Why on earth would you need to have the exact number of the European population, and why the hell do you think that Google/Wikipedia would lie about something like that? I mean, sure, there is a lot of crap on the internet... but I don't see why this wouldn't work.

The lie lies in the assumption that a population count can be lied about or not. Population counts are estimates based on methodologies with lots of parameters to decide who to count and who not to. Do you realize how many people live sometimes in Europe and sometimes elsewhere? Are these people permanent European residents who should be counted as part of the population while living elsewhere or should they only be counted if they're in Europe during the census, etc.? What about people ascribed visitor-status? Should tourists be counted? Should denizens? What about people who have been living for generations in Europe but are still viewed and treated as foreigners because of their ethnic identity/ies? Finally, what if you count all the people globally who contribute to European life economically? I.e. when labor is "out-sourced" "offshore" is it not similar to incorporating more people into the economy, albeit at a distance? Should this be treated as an expansion of the European working class or excluded on the basis of geographical location?

• 3 weeks later...

The lie lies in the assumption that a population count can be lied about or not. Population counts are estimates based on methodologies with lots of parameters to decide who to count and who not to. Do you realize how many people live sometimes in Europe and sometimes elsewhere? Are these people permanent European residents who should be counted as part of the population while living elsewhere or should they only be counted if they're in Europe during the census, etc.? What about people ascribed visitor-status? Should tourists be counted? Should denizens? What about people who have been living for generations in Europe but are still viewed and treated as foreigners because of their ethnic identity/ies? Finally, what if you count all the people globally who contribute to European life economically? I.e. when labor is "out-sourced" "offshore" is it not similar to incorporating more people into the economy, albeit at a distance? Should this be treated as an expansion of the European working class or excluded on the basis of geographical location?

I think a definition of what ' Europe ' is ? , must first be made .

They are not stupid. I'm quite sure that when a census is done they address these questions, and many others, and set the parameters for who to count and how to classify them.

I know of at least one area of land that contains approximately 50 million people and sometimes they like to play the ' we are in Europe card ' and other times they like to play the ' them and us card ' .

Edited by hal_2011