Hello new to science

urial

Hello I'm new to science, I have always been amazed with space and the idea of how big it truly is, thats why I decided to look into further study more then just a hobby, and I was lucky enough to find a course that I can do which is a postgraduate in master of science (astronomy) however to start that I need to begin the undergraduate Bachelor of science(applied science).

I really do enjoy science yet I haven't done it since I've left school (8 years). and my job, at the present is working with difficult young people in custody, a job which does not relate to astronomy at all. My first unit is introduction to chemistry which I have never done, its a basic unit but I'm wonder if any one on this forum can get me started. What are the fundamental things to know? What level of math does it require on a undergraduate level? and other handy tips that will allow me to one day, have my master of astronomy.

Thanks for your help.

Hello I'm new to science, I have always been amazed with space and the idea of how big it truly is, thats why I decided to look into further study more then just a hobby, and I was lucky enough to find a course that I can do which is a postgraduate in master of science (astronomy) however to start that I need to begin the undergraduate Bachelor of science(applied science).

I really do enjoy science yet I haven't done it since I've left school (8 years). and my job, at the present is working with difficult young people in custody, a job which does not relate to astronomy at all.

But astronomy could be related to your job; personal problems seem insignificant in compairison to the universe.

My first unit is introduction to chemistry which I have never done, its a basic unit but I'm wonder if any one on this forum can get me started. What are the fundamental things to know?

The elements in the periodic table.

What level of math does it require on a undergraduate level?

Basic algebra for chemistry but you will need calculas for astronomy.

and other handy tips that will allow me to one day, have my master of astronomy.

Lots and lots of study.

Edited by swansont
fix/add quote tags

I 100% disagree that you need to memorize the periodic elements. It's better to get a feel for how the periodic table is set up and why it is that why than trying to memorize 122 element names. Understanding is always better than mere memorizing.

I agree with Ringer. You do not ever need to memorise the periodic table. The stuff they teach in the beginner chemistry course where I am includes:

States of matter

What is an atom? (protons, neutrons and electrons)

Orbitals

How to calculate valence electrons

How to read the periodic table (I.e. Where the transition metals are, electronegative trends, etc.)

The concept of a mole and other stoicheometric relationships

Different types of compounds (fatty acids, carbohydrates, etc)

Ionic bonding

Covalent bonding

Hydrogen bonding

Van der Waals forces

London dispersion forces

The concept of pH

Density

Pauli exclusion principle

Aufbau principle

That other principle related to the above two and whose name escapes me

That's all I recall from tutoring it a while back. They may have also learnt things pertaining to VESPR and Lewis diagrams, hybridization, transition metals, electrochemistry, equilibrium calculations, more complicated pH stuff, acid dissociation, phase diagrams and the associated maths, ideal gas laws, Gibbs free energy, entropy, enthalpy, molecular geometry, crystal field theory, solubility, reaction rate kinetics, quantum numbers and basic organic chem. I would focus on that top list before hazarding a go at the rest though.

Anyway, I think that's most of it off the top of my head. Apologies if I missed something.

Edited by hypervalent_iodine

Thank you hypervalent_iodine you have been very helpful, Ill read up and work on those points right away, my unit doesn't start for another month so it should be plenty of time to get the basics in my head before I start.