Cars as Refuge from Tsunamis (formerly Japanese Nuclear Reactor Frailty)

Airbrush

(...) How much would it cost them to water proof only the passenger cabin of their cars? I don't believe that would be terribly expensive. Maybe it doesnt take much to stop the flow of water only into the passenger cabin. Then your car would float and provide some protection, without using armor or bullet proof glass. (...)

The problem is that the water is really full of debris: wood and other construction materials. You need a decent armor, otherwise the debris in the water will just punch a hole in your waterproof car.

Also, the water is very turbulent, and even real ships have problems to stay afloat. You cannot realistically expect to be able to breathe outside air, because your air intake might be under water.

I think that tsunami-proof shelters are a better option, either on a hill, or a waterproof bunker of some kind. I don't see why the shelter should be on wheels. If people in their cars (and all other people too) can reach the shelters, then the car is not so important.

The problem is that the water is really full of debris: wood and other construction materials. You need a decent armor, otherwise the debris in the water will just punch a hole in your waterproof car.

Also, the water is very turbulent, and even real ships have problems to stay afloat. You cannot realistically expect to be able to breathe outside air, because your air intake might be under water.

I think that tsunami-proof shelters are a better option, either on a hill, or a waterproof bunker of some kind. I don't see why the shelter should be on wheels. If people in their cars (and all other people too) can reach the shelters, then the car is not so important.

Your worst case scenario will defeat a watertight car, but in less severe conditions an ordinary car that is watertight with a few simple ventilation features, could provide the difference between life and death. The car would be designed bottom heavy to automatically right itself if tumbling over and over, and it will float indefinitely. Air ventilation will be re-established automatically after snorkel is clear. Of course occupants in car should wear seat belts to survive tumbling.

I agree that a waterproof bunker is a better solution. Maybe a community shelter on the highest ground available and quickly accessible to the neighborhood. It could have multiple redundant snorkel air intakes and one or more exits designed to facilite exit thru mounds of debris (sliding door).

Edited by Airbrush

• 1 month later...

How water tight are cars?

Not very...

That link ends BEFORE the toffee hits the Takkie.

The part 2 is the scary part.

The part about the doors staying jammed until the car settles on the bottom, sure isn't shown it Hollywood action movies - eh?