cesium hydroxide vs hydroflouric acid

r1dermon

It depends totally on which concept of acid-base do you use.

The H and OH ion is the Arrhenius concept of acid and bases.

You also have the Bronstead concept.

But the most general one is the Lewis concept. It can explain how chemicals with no H such as SbF5 and AlCl3 are acidic in nature.

I`m not sure I totaly agree with ALL of Lewis`s work, he did alot based around ammonia, he seemed somewhat fixated on that chem :)

a bit like Pauling in his later years fixated on Vitamins, some of which has since been dissproven to be false (esp the Vit A trials).

however, back to the topic, HF(aq) is not only dangerous in respect of it`s corrosive properties towards flesh, it also acts as an anaesthetic, so you don`t actualy even feel it burn you!

yeah YT, i've seen the reaction and how much vapor it produces(HF vs. glass) its definately no joke, as one wiff is certain death. in fact, there was so much vapor, that even next to a window, it filled the room and the proceedure had to be evacuated before it found its way through the double filtered gas mask that was being used. i'd say it aint no joke.

Yeah, HF is pretty weak because the Fluoride ion really likes to hold on to the Hydrogen atom, therefore it does not like to dissociate into H+ and F-. I think hydrofluoric acid kind of proves how arbitrary the "strong"/"weak" designations are when describing acids. (I.E. HF is weak, but I'd rather spill a strong acid such as HCl on my hand than HF).

• 7 months later...