running problems

ydoaPs

1) You don't have the aerobic fitness to run that long. Lactic acid produced when you're mucles aren't getting enough oxygen makes you nauseas. If you do feel sick, you can be sure you have lots of lactic acid in your mucles, so do a long (15+ minutes) warmdown when you are done running, such light jogging, to clear out of your mucles.

2) This might be shin splints developing. You want to be careful because it can get worse and take a while to heal. Wear proper running shoes, don't run on hard surfaces like concrete, or uneven surfaces.

1.)I can't. The class is only 55 minutes long, and he has us work most of the time. The rest of the time we are changing. I thought lactic acid just made your muscles hurt.

2.)Aren't shin splints fractures in the tibia? I wear tennis shoes. The place we run is a concrete circle thingy around the main gymnasium.

1) If you are not violently ill (ie, pukeing) then i would just say stick it out. As the quarter goes on, you will get more in shape and you will feel less ill.

Really, like skye said, it is just a fitness thing. 45 min of running lot of running to just jump into. You will get used to it though.

IN the meantime, though, you might make sure that you stretch well before and after running, walk around some after you run (don't just stop, that is really bad, and make sure that you are eating right. The last two are really important. You *really* need to cool down (and warm up too) and if you are eating junk food, then you will really feel it after you excersise, expecially if you are not used to it. So just until you are more used to running for this long, make sure you are eating plenty of fruits and vegitables and not eating candy and fatty foods.

But i am not a doctor -- this is just what i have found to help in my life.

2) There is something you might be able to do for this. It most likely is shin splints. One excersise that you can do to help this is a follows.

Stand with your back against a wall and the heels of your feel about 6 inches (15 cm) from the wall. Then, simultaniously, raise the front of both your feet as far off the ground as they will go. Ok. Now repeat this AS FAST AS YOU CAN for about a min or so. It will be painfull and it will feel like your shins are going to fall off, but it is quite helpfull. Reapeat this about 5 times or so.

So this excersise ever other day, or so, and it will really help with the pain.

Again, i am not a doctor, this has just realy helped for me -- if you think the problem is serious, or if it persists then see a physician. Its their job to help you out with this stuff :D

1.)vomiting was what i meant when i said "get sick"

2.)so, moving my toes up and down will take pain away from two fractured legs? our litigious society(US) has caused the price of physicans to be rediculously high. that is why i posted the thread first. i don't want to have to pay if it is nothing.

Shin splints are when damage is caused to the lining of the tibia. If you have a pain along the insides of your shins it is probably shin splints. If you have a sharp pain at a specific location (especially a few inches below the knee) then you could have a stress fracture.

Shin splints aren't a major concern, they will usually heal if you give them rest. See your teacher if you still have pain before you start a run though, as this will just make it worse.

1.) i get sick after i run for a long period of time(about 45 minutes)

2.) i get pain in my tibia while and after i run.

what causes these and how can i prevent them?

How old are you?

What weight are you?

What height are you?

How much exercise (breaking a sweat) are you used to, and how often/long?

Other than that, are you sure it's 45 min your running for? It can seem an awful lot longer if your hurting. Shin splints normally start to effect runners in their mid 20's, if they often do road work, so I'd not worry too much about your legs dropping off. Aches and pains for teenagers exercising are usually nothing serious, if your not used to pain it can seem a lot worse that it actually is.

2.)so' date=' moving my toes up and down will take pain away from two fractured legs? our litigious society(US) has caused the price of physicans to be rediculously high. that is why i posted the thread first. i don't want to have to pay if it is nothing.[/quote']

Well a few points...

a) You are not moving just your toes up and down, but your whole foot (leaving the heel on the ground).

b) I seriously doubt that you have fractured legs -- if you did, you most likely would not be able to take the pain that would be caused by running.

c) Do you not have health insurance? This should defray most of the cost of physicians :/

Anyways, this excexise DID work for me. The deal is that you are streangthening the muscles in the front of your shins. This helps hold together the tissues that are around them and connected to them (it is this tissue tearing that is normally called shin splints -- i think this was already mentioned).

That is my advice, it worked not only for me, but for my HS track and cross country teams. Take it or leave it, but if you are serious about avoiding a physician, then why not try something that is easy, simple, and free? If it doesn't work, what does it cost you? 5 min a day? Big deal. If it does work, then you have saved yourselve alot of pain.

Just trying to help :)

16yrs old

225lbs

6'3"

I am am sure it is 45min because our class is 55min and we get 5min to change. (we usually have 2-3min left over.

it is about in the middle of my tibia.

Yup, I'd probably have to go with slightly unfit as well. As people have mentioned doing a few runs after school, maybe 2 jogs a week for a mile or so, should increase your fitness levels significantly (if you can, try wind sprints while jogging to build stamina). It sound as though, at 6'3 and 16 years, the pain in your legs is related to your recent growth spurts. When I was doing long distance running at 16, I had pains in my legs strong enough to keep me awake at night after I'd done a run (I was 6'2 but a lighter build). I'd probably suggest deep heat or tiger balm on your legs after you run, to ease the pain.

As VendingMenace said, you are what you eat. The staples to eat are pasta, chicken and tuna to provide the carbohydrates the body needs for exercise. One of the best things to do in preparation for a race the next day is to have a nice plate of chicken pasta, plenty of liquid and a good nights sleep. George Foreman grills are a fantastic way of cooking healthy chicken quickly, btw. If you have the right fuel in your body to start with, you'll be better able to cope with heavy exercise.

There a few ways to run that will build up stamina more than a normal jog, once you have the basics. It may sound stupid, but breathing is important. Long steady circular breaths are what you need, and getting used to focusing on your breathing is one key to being able to manage exercise. How you run, move your arms and pivot your hips, can save you a large amount of energy. Hold your hands in a comfortable position in front of you and move them like a boxer would when changing legs, don't pump them at your sides as it's just a waste of energy. The legs are really hard to train, so probably best just to leave them to it other than using your height to your advantage (you'll have a large stride so try and use it).

Oh, and hate the person who's making you run. Really hate them. Then run the anger out.

i was in gymnastics and our PE teacher had us do 20 min runs that i couldn't do...but we never really ran that much. What's up w/ that? Also it HURT to run on the basketball gym floor. i thought that was just cuz i was used to running on a floor w/ springs and foam mats and stuff..true?

have u just started running, how long have u been active and athletic? If you r just starting out than u must take it really slow and let your body build up the stamina needed for such rigorous aerobic exercise. The sickness and vomit are most probably a result of poor nutrition as mentioned by earlier responses. This usually happens to people after the marathon or after longer runs that they haven’t properly prepared for nutritionally. In my experience with running the pain in the legs especially in the calves are usually the cramps resulting from lactic acid build-up. Lots of liquid including water and good sports drinks (Gatorade or powerade) will do the trick. Remember to drink before, during and especially after exercise. Yes you will have to run to the bathroom during other classes but it is imperative to keep the body hydrated. If you take it slow you will gradually build up the endurance and your respiratory rate will slow down and you will take longer circular breaths that will provide you with an O2 supply to relieve you from the oxygen-debt causing the pain. Stretch!! Always stretch, anytime of the day is good. If you are stretch throughout the day than you may reduce the stretch time prior to and after the run, when time is causing the stress. There are many great sites and books to help you with right formation, correct warm-up/cool-down, and hydration. Running is not an exact science. Back to your injuries: take it slow! And injuries must be taken seriously; if you are injured: REST!