Way to go, TX!

ydoaPs

I can't say "I blame them", as 90% of the parents would have been outraged if in the name of being politically correct, the "Club" was permitted. What's next a Christian/Muslim Alliance or any organized public alliance with a single objective to win over converts.

I can't say "I blame them", as 90% of the parents would have been outraged if in the name of being politically correct, the "Club" was permitted. What's next a Christian/Muslim Alliance or any organized public alliance with a single objective to win over converts.

Maybe even a Federation of Christian Athletes.

The point is two fold; In Texas, School Districts have authority over school activity and parents can direct the school board. If parents object to the FCA, as SOME Catholic Schools have, some have not, then it should not be permitted.

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes is a not-for-profit evangelical Christian organization founded in 1954 and that has been based in Kansas City, Missouri since 1956. Although established by evangelical Protestants, the concept has spread to where chapters have been opened in Catholic schools. [1] Members are encouraged, but not required, to be athletes.[/Quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fellowship_of_Christian_Athletes

Catholic schools are not public schools, so any discussion about them need not apply.

Public schools do not have have the right to disallow a club based on its political, religious, or philosophical leanings. That is why they had to remove all clubs instead of just denying that one. They removed all extra-curricular clubs so that the law does not apply as one of the requirements is that the school "Already have a limited open forum, which means that at least one student-led, non-curriculum club that meets outside of class time"; if they have no extracurriculars, then they do not have to allow groups that go against their political leaning.

Also,

Gay–straight alliances are student organizations, found primarily in North American high schools and universities, that are intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) youth and their straight allies (LGBTA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay-straight_alliance

Edited by ydoaPs

And you have just explained why, they decided to cancel all the clubs. Here we go again, anything slightly seen as politically incorrect, means everyone MUST lose their rights, I think your link mentioned one person's request, that's just great.

No wonder Charter Schools in some districts, Private Schools in all areas and Home Schooling numbers are rising....

And you have just explained why, they decided to cancel all the clubs. Here we go again, anything slightly seen as politically incorrect, means everyone MUST lose their rights, I think your link mentioned one person's request, that's just great.

Where, exactly does political correctness come into play? And who, exactly, has lost any rights?

Where, exactly does political correctness come into play? And who, exactly, has lost any rights?

Clearly it's politically incorrect in small town Texas to have a gay-straight alliance club. And as a result, the school administrators took away everyone's rights to have extracurricular clubs. I don't think that's what Jackson meant, though.

Clearly it's politically incorrect in small town Texas to have a gay-straight alliance club. And as a result, the school administrators took away everyone's rights to have extracurricular clubs. I don't think that's what Jackson meant, though.

Wasn't it the religious groups that lobbied for this law? Wasn't it Reagan who signed it into law? Would Reagan sign a PC nonsense law designed to strip people of their rights? Or is it only PC nonsense when it's an actually oppressed minority trying to exercise the rights granted to them by law?

Clearly it's politically incorrect in small town Texas to have a gay-straight alliance club. And as a result, the school administrators took away everyone's rights to have extracurricular clubs. I don't think that's what Jackson meant, though. [/Quote]

Sisyphus; That's exactly what I meant, but it's not that it's a small Texas town, but that it's in a school district. If most any district is approached by any one person permits any number of sexually oriented "Clubs" to form, or any activity seen objectionable in that district (Corpus Christi has a very high Latino/Catholic percentage) there board and populations are likely to object, the end result would be the same, all acceptable extracurricular clubs, might be barred.

I have no ax to grind with gay's...