Magnetism of a Nuclear Reaction

Oddt

Hey, everyone. I've been reading an old book from the 60's- "Atomic Physics Today," and I was wondering if someone could verify and elaborate on one of the claims the writer makes. It states that when an overcharged electric current is passed through a filament, such in a way to mimic the sun's heat and to catalyze a thermonuclear reaction, the heat becomes enveloped by a magnetic sheath which redirects the energy within the confines of a small, tube-like field. Is this factual? And if so, then what is the scientific cause? Thanks for taking the time to read this!

are you talking about a pinch?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-pinch

also what the hell is an overcharged electric current? that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Firstly- yes, I believe that's what the writer was talking about. It doesn't use the terminology, though- so thank you. And as for the overcharged electric current; I'm not sure myself. The book states that to match the heat required for reactions to occur, the electricity has to be overcharged before the current is released through a filament. I'm beginning to believe this book may be a little outdated.

yes, it could well be.

overcharging only really applies to two things in physics, capacitors and electrochemical cells.

overcharging is when you force more electrons in the negative side than would normally be there for a full charge. this leads to damage of the capacitor or electrochemical cell either by material breakdown or dielectric breakdown.

for a current, well over charging just doesn't apply. i'm not even aware of historical usage that would fit with this.

Things can happen the other way round. If a nuclear explosion takes place a very strong electromagnetic pulse is generated which can knock out sensitive electronic equipment. This was a matter of some concern in the 1960's.