What type of undergrad study would allow me to do Planetary Science

Tokage

Hi, I'm a sophomore in college, but credit wise still a freshman I believe.

I really love Astronomy and Physics but I'm just not much of a math guy. However I do really LOVE the science aspects of studying planets.

I would love to study things such as the composition of planets when I get out of school, including our own planet. But I'd also really like to be able to for instance study the proposed sub-surface oceans on Titan and other planets, and their moons, asteroids and so on (quite the ambitious, perhaps unrealistic expectations I know.) Considering that, would I be better off studying Environmental Science as a major while I'm in school, or should I major in Astronomy&Physics (they come together as a degree here)?

Thanks so much for the help!

My first thought reading your post is "geology". Not sure if it's offered as a university degree in <whatever country you are from>, tough. You should also check how big the market for planetary science jobs is (and could at the same time have a look at the typical requirement for those jobs); planetary science does not sound like a big field with countless positions; you might want to arrange for some backup plan.

Any good astronomy program will offer some astrogeological component. If you want to put more emphasis on the geology of other planets, then take a few courses in the geology department to support your work in astronomy. Many universities permit majors and minors, or dual majors, and astronomy as a major with geology as a minor would be an intellectually defensible combination. Also, while there are not many jobs in astronomy, there are in geology, so a minor in that could provide some employment security.