ELISA technique to detect antiviral antibodies

Gamewizard

Hi can someone please help me on this, i need some ideas on this.

My practical was on 'detection of antiviral antibodies in serum using an ELISA technique'. We followed the basic ELISA method of detecting antibodies in two patients serum. The test was for measles, mumps, rubella, and cytomegalovirus. From the results I found that patient 1 tested positive for mumps and rubella but negative for measles and cytomegalovirus. And patient 2 tested positive for measles and rubella but negative for mumps and cytomegalovirus. Both of them tested negative for cytomegalovirus and both positive for rubella.

I am now writing the discussion bit, and I am supposed to discuss the significance/consequences of the results to the patients. I dont know thier basic information such as age, sex etc so all possibilities should be considered, but I am confused on what I am supposed to say for them except that they have certain infections etc. Any one does this experiment or something similar ? can you please help me ? give me some ideas to write on ???

These are some of the additional questions which i am required to answer as well and not really sure about them.

Q1- Think of some basic assumptoins that could lead to the failure of the test

Q2- Include a series of labelled drawings which clearly show the stages of the assay

Q3- Briefly explain the principle of a competitive ELISA often used in the detection of anti-HIV antibody

Edited by Gamewizard

Antibody-antigen reaction condition for detection is very strict. I think, it is best way that you read conscientiously the manual which is obtained from the antibody supplier. Obey the procedure in the instruction manual. If there is some problem, you would be better to inquire them.

Edited by alpha2cen

I've run plenty of competitive and other ELISAs.

Q1 -- This is more theoretical than actual, so get general info by googling: competitive ELISA troubleshooting.

Q2 -- Refer to your assays instructions because test procedures and steps vary according to assay.

Q3 -- Explain why you did what you did. Either refer to the assay's literature or research it on the Internet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've run plenty of competitive and other ELISAs.

Q1 -- This is more theoretical than actual, so get general info by googling: competitive ELISA troubleshooting.

Q2 -- Refer to your assays instructions because test procedures and steps vary according to assay.

Q3 -- Explain why you did what you did. Either refer to the assay's literature or research it on the Internet.

Thank you