nitrocellulose

boris_73

From what I've understood, the nitronium ions that sulphuric and nitric acid creates are mostly used when you nitrate your cellulose, so it's not probably too effective to reuse the solution. Not sure about that though, I think we once again need someone more reliable to confirm this. :)

Edit: I bet you could try nitrating stuff with the solution that's left if you didn't nitrate too much cellulose, to a point they are not being nitrated anymore. :P

i know all the procedures 2.5ml/nitric acid 2.5ml/sulphuric acid add .5 cellulose let it nitrate for 5minutes then boil it in sodium bicarbonate solution and rinse with distilled water untill it tests for neutral etc if you make large quantities it may result in a run away as well thats way if you were to make it make it in small quantites, and its nice to see you yt not heard from you in a while :D

OH BOY!, a runaway reaction is something you DON`T want to see as a newbie!, it`ll scare the crap outa ya! :)

esp when you know what they CAN do! 9 times outa 10 you`ll just generate alot of gas and heat and ruin your experiments and product, the other 1 time, BOOM! and hot acid all over the place :((

NC is NOT a synth for beginners! (or anyone really) best leave it too the pros and buy it from the shop!

Umm, have you tried it YT, and yet lived to tell the tale? :) Or was it just a small quantity? I wonder if hot acid is good for PINE TABLES.

Next time on SF: Nitrating toluene next to burning sparklers in a moist room with lots of cesium lying around! :D

thank you for your concern but i have made it before and the very most important things are dont let it get over 70C during nitration make sure you neutralise it and dont make large quantities and i think .5g isnt exactly large quantities is it. 5ml for every .5g thats what i would use