Discovery of new molecule can lead to more efficient rocket fuel

Spyman

Discovery of new molecule can lead to more efficient rocket fuel

Trinitramid – that's the name of the new molecule that may be a component in future rocket fuel. This fuel could be 20-30 percent more efficient in comparison with the best rocket fuels we have today. The discovery was made at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Sweden.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-12/src-don122210.php

If that's the structure I think it is, nitrogen surrounded by three nitrate groups that should be somewhat unstable (good for a rocket fuel I would imagine). I wonder if they had to isolate it in a solid argon matrix or something. I would also like to know what the hybridization on the central nitrogen is, there might be some highly hyperconjugated [math] \pi [/math]-system stabilizing the compound if the central nitrogen isn't purely [math] sp^{3} [/math]. I would kill to see an X-band EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance) spectrum of this. There are probably very unique hyperfine splitting patterns. Not many compounds have a radical that can bounce between four equal Z nuclei in such a high symmetry environment, not because it is difficult, because this situation just doesn't arise much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.